snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
I use mineral spirits, or paint thinner, same thing. It puts a hurtin' on the filter oil and cleans the filter great. I have not had any problems with the glue on the filter decomposing, but, I always rinse the filter thoroughly afterwards. Almost any solvent will work, but mineral spirits is pretty easy to get, and it won't eat your skin off, for short periods of exposure. Always be careful with solvents and flamability. Good luck.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I have to put in another shameless plug for No-Toil. A little bit of their filter cleaner in some nice warm water and the filter is cleaner than I've ever seen. However you must also use their filter oil, won't wash out with anything but their cleaner and stays really tacky. :)

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
thanks, I tried the soap and water thing and all it did was make a gooie mess.
I used hand degreaser, but it didn't work too well.
I will try the gas method since it's readily available.

How about simple green? That should work?

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
i use dish detergent and water, cold i guess.

what is the no-toil filter all about? what exactly does no toil mean?

also i dry my filter after washing with a hair dryer before putting on my filter oil, is that ok? i dont think its from this but my filters bottom like the outside of the hole that touches up against the intake hole is ripping like the liner of it.:think

RM250Rida

May 16, 2001
I think NO Toil means its easy to clean up. I also use No Toil products. I had a No Toil filter on my blaster and when I sold it I had all the chemicals left. I now use them on my Twin Air. I ran out of the filter cleaner powder so now I just use hot soapy water and it takes the oil right out. I also like how the oil is red so you can tell where the oil is and if you missed a spot. It's super tacky so you know its going to trap the dirt, yet it flows wonderfully. I love the feel of my bike after I clean the filter. I can really notive the power gain. I clean mine about twice a week. There's no reason not too. It's a win win situation.

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Read more about No-Toil here => http://www.no-toil.com
Jeff at MX-South (DRN Sponsor) can get it for you. I buy the cleaner and filter oil in the gallon jugs.

Kerosene also works for cleaning air filters and is not as flameable as gasoline. After the kerosene bath, wash the filter in soap & water, then rinse well with plain clear water to get the soap out.

Good Luck!

Showtime_144

May 21, 2001
I just dip the filter in WD-40 couple times to break the oil down the wash it with soapy water works great and the WD-40 can be reused a a lot.Just have to get the WD-40 thats not in the spray can.

BP

Jun 25, 2000
The cheapest most effective way ? Tide or Cheer laundry detergent with dishwasing liquid in the hottest water you can stand. Let completely dry and apply your favorite oil.

BP

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
I use a one gallon icecream bucket full of keroseen with wire mesh about 1/2in. off the bottom so the dirt can settle out. I usually reuse the keroseen at least 10 times. I let most of the keroseen drip out then wash it out with laundry deturgent. then oil with Bel-Ray. No-toil sounds like a good way to go but I have never tried it.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
UNI Death?

Will the no-toil stuff hurt my nice new UNI air filter that I love so much??!? The air filter has worked wonders for my bike and I thought I have heard some stories about the no-toil harming the UNI filters.

Lee Wilson

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
filter care

I found the best way to clean it is to first dip it in either petrol or turps to break down the old filter oil and grime. Then rinse with warm soapy water and let it dry thoroughly. Remember to re-oil the filter with a good quality filter oil, i prefer to use "Finer Filter" oil. Massage the oil in with your hands and then remove any excess by squeezing or patting it dry with a cloth. Remember to apply a thin film of oil/grease on the surface of the inner filter skeleton where it meets the foam to ensure a good seal.
I've even heard of some manufacturers filter oils intentionally hardening up on the surface of the filter, trapping dirt and then cracking (during the process of riding and jumping) allowing the hardened clog to fall to the bottom of the box and leaving a clean area of the filter exposed. I know it sounds pretty cooky, but it seems good in theory.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
yes no toil will eat the glue off your Uni fliter,!! They had a note on there webpage telling you not to do it but I don't know if it is still up:think

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
Ive heard 2 horror storys about the gasoline method. Having backfires and lighting up the airbox. Sounds like a longshot to me. I have three airfilters for my WR426. I even change one when I go back to the truck for water. Like someone said a few posts up its a win win situation.

As for cleaning I still use gas and soapy water. My friend has some no toil that I plan on trying he swears by it

socalwr

Jun 26, 2001
invest in a box of disposable plastic gloves. it helps keep your hands and everything you touch from getting sticky from the filter oil. filter oil is nasty stuff. just my 2 cents

00kawa125

May 16, 2001
I use break parts cleaner to dissolve the oil then wash it out with water. If it is still a little oily i then use dish detergent. Works great for me.

01 yz125

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by LWilson250
Thank you John.T. Thats just what I needed to know!!! I guess No-Toil won't have me buying their products.

Lee Wilson

So buy a No Toil filter at Chaparral for all of about $20.
If you are using any other method you are working too hard. Dirt bikes are a pain to maintain, any way to make it easier is a godsend. No toil is the quickest, easiest way to clean and oil a filter I have found. It takes me 5 minutes to clean mine and my son's fliters. I let them air dry in the sun for a couple of hours while I do other things and then 10 minutes to re-oil and install them both. The dirty water is biodegradable and you can just dump it in the grass with no damage.

Last edited:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
LWilson250, why don't you take the free coupon that comes with the NO-TOIL kit and get your free filter. I just ordered two cleaner/oil kits and now have two new filters in my garage. The whole thing only cost about $35 to $40! Thats like buying two filters and getting cleaning supplies free.:cool:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I use No-Toil on my UNI filter for my KDX. I have been doing so for the past year (since MWSF2K where i got free samples). I have not (until this week) had any trouble with the No-Toil destroying the adhesive in my filter. This week when i went to clean my filter i noticed that the two pieces of foam were coming apart due to adhesion break down. I used some GOOP to glue them back together and went out and purchased another filter (Twin Air).

The UNI still looks like it will be fine. Hope the glue holds up. I will keep using No-Toil.:)

Top Bottom