palazzi

Jun 15, 2002
How do you clean your air filter? This is what I do on my WR250:

1. soak the filter in Kerosene for few minutes, squeezing it to remove dirt
2. repeat the same process but in soapy water
3. wash the filter in warm water to remove soap
4. let it dry completely
5. reinstall it (using grease in the contact area)

My problem is that it takes ages to dry. I have tried using Gasoline instead of Kerosene and the drying process is much quicker. But I some people have told me not to use a high-flash solvent (like gasoline) to clean the air filter. Why I can’t use gasoline? What is the problem? If I shall not use gasoline, can I use a hair dryer to reduce drying time?

Thanks.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I use the spray on cleaner and a garden hose to clean it. Drying time is probably the same as yours. I'm sure using a blow dryer would be fine but the best solution is to have more than one air filter. I take one out, put the other one in, and then clean the dirty one and hang it up to dry. By the time I need it, it's dry.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Extra filters are really not that expensive.My son has just started on a 125,and Ive got 4 filters for it.When both my sons raced yz 80´s I had 12 filters,I just pick up a couple of filters when I buy other parts.When we first started racing,I bought one of the filter cleaning sets with a bucket for cleaning fluid,and another for the oil.I just put the used filters in the cleaning fluid,untill its time to do filters again.I squeeze out the cleaner,rinse them inside out with hot water,and put them in the washing machine on a "soft" program,with ordinary washing powder! Lots of people think this is overkill,but try cleaning your filters like you use to,and put them in the washing machine inside an old pillow cover or something.The amount of sand particles inside the cover afterwards might make your hair stand up!
I put the clean filters on top of my central heater,and they are dry in a day or so.BTW,if you use the washing machine,be sure to wash your riding gear or work clothes at the next laundry,it can smell a little different than normal!
Hope Ive explained this in the right words,we dont normally speak English here.Ive done it this way for 10 years,countless hours of serious racing in all conditions,and not once have we blown engine parts because of particles entering the engine!

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Originally posted by viking20
BTW,if you use the washing machine,be sure to wash your riding gear or work clothes at the next laundry,it can smell a little different than normal!

My wife says all of my clothes smell a little different anyway! :)

Excellent advice, I plan on washing my filters that way next time, I think I'll throw in my shop rags afterwards and then my smelly clothing. :thumb:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
palazzi, I do the same thing and as others posted I have several filters. When they dry I oil all at once and keep the ones I am not using sealed in plastic bags. Once they are all dirty I repeat the process. Saves time and kerosene.

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
Questions about washing the filter in the washing machine.

First, I use Kero to get the oil out of my filters so if I then throw them in the washing machine will the Kero Smell stink out the laundry and even worse will it put the smell in my mums next wash?   Whenever I dry my filters in front of the heater in the lounge it reaks out the entire room ;)

Other thing was how do the filters pull op after this.  Delicate wash cycle yes, but they must still get thrown in a bit?  Maybe put them in one of those underwear bag my sisters uses? :)

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by xrsforever
[B ]I can't believe no one has mentioned the best way...NO TOIL [/B]

Neither can I...

Vote #2 for NO TOIL. Biodegradable, cleans up with water, and works great at trapping the nasty dirt.

http://www.notoil.com

Save the Kerosene for your lamps and burn the gasoline in the motorcycle!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Sorry,I have never seen No-toil for sale in this country,so I dont know the product!If you use the washing machine,the filters are normal shaped afterwards.Dont use kerosene or gasoline,its bad for mother nature,is highly flammable,and wont perform better than the cleaning fluid you can obtain for a small price at your dealer!It still smells bad afterwards,so a couple of high-temp laundrys will be required after the filters.As I said you can wash your working clothes,or riding gear,or off course run a high temp cycle without anything in the machine.Its a hassle,but if youve got a few filters,its not that often..............

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
You didn't mention that you re-oil the filter before instalation!!!! I sure hope you have not forgotten to do this ? Use the No-Toil - you can order it through any m/c shop or online.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom