FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
Cleaning the air filter

Ok. I use Belray filter oil the really thick blue stuff.(came with the used bike). Do plan on using some type of spray it on filter oil less messy like PJ1. Anyway I have always used gas to clean the filter but after reaing the posts out here I don't use it anymore. So for now I use simple green not to good I also use this stuff called "grease lightning" its a dgreaser its ok. but I think I want to start to use a REAL filter cleaner. I har and read out here that NO-TOIL it the stuff to use or Twin Air Cleaner. my question is if I use NO-Toil Can I use any oil I want or do I have to use thiers ? Does anyone use the No-toil cleaner and Belray filter oil ? Also where do you clean the filter in a "special filet tub" I see them advertised or regular bucket.

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
I would think that any cleaner you use you should be able to use any type of oil you want. I clean mine in the kitchen sink, full of hot water. My wife yells at me every time. But hey it works!! Sometimes I even use DAWN to cut the oil really well and let it soak. Comes out very clean.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Actually, I think that with No-Toil, you should only use the cleaner w/their oil only. I don't think that it will work as well w/other oil's, as the No-Toil oil is alcohol-based. Not 100% sure, thou', as I just started using their oil and haven't had a chance to use their cleaner on anything else(or even their oil yet, for that fact:eek: )
For normal oil, the Dawn thing does work ok. It does take a little longer than using gas/mineral spirits/kerosene, but it's not as nasty or harmful to the filter glue. I think it helps to throw a little Simple Green in w/the hot water and Dawn.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
No Toil cleaner does not work very well on anything other than No Toil oil. But I suggest using their oil. the way to oil a filter with no spray oil is to pour some in a decent sizze zip-lock bag, put the filter in and work it around. I keep two filters. I pull the one out of the bike clean it, and hang it in the garage to dry. I take the one hanging up from last week, oil it and install. Cleaning with No Toil oil and cleaner it take all of five minutes to clean the filter.

If you just don't want to use No Toil, Kerosene, or minieral sprits will work.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
twin air
I ust the twin air tub/cleaner. It works with any oil. I've used bel-ray, pj-1, twin air and no toil. It is the easiest, most hassle free cleaning product I've found. My friend used greased lightning, and swore that it worked as well. I took his filter after he cleaned it and dunked it in the tub, and it came out looking brand new. He went and bought the tub/solution the next day ( and he's a big time cheap skate). The stuff is amazing.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
Twin air works on any oil or filter. I keep 3 filters. one is stock, and the tother two are twin air. I had a uni before, and actually liked it better, but the twin air cleaner worked fine on it

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Mineral Spirits/turpentine

I have found that mineral spirits/turpentine cleans my air filter perfect and I use the PJ1 Red Super Tacky oil filter oil. I pour about a quart in a gallon coffee can and wash my filter and then wash it in hot soapy water and it comes out clean. I used to use gas, but after having two filters fall apart, I finally saw what gas was doing to the foam.

FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
yardpro
what is the twin air tub ? Can I use a 5 gallon paint bucket instead. I just finish painting the house and I have some laying around in the garage already. I do plan on getting the 4 liter of Liquid dirt remover like you mentioned above. You said it works greate on bel ray oil correct?

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
I've tried the PJ1 and NoToil cleaner on my Belray infested filters. Didn't work worth a damn. :mad: The Belray is just too thick, even after using a full can of PJ1 cleaner the filter was still sticky and blue. I use an icecream pail and gas to clean my Belray oiled filters. Trying those others is just a waste of money as you will end up using gas after anyway.

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
GUNK foamy engine degreaser, works great a buck or so a can. You can allso by it in the one gallon jug, and use it in a small parts washer. Harbor freight sells a nifty little parts washer that will be perfect for this. there is a screen that comes up when you open the lid so the filter can drain off.

RM252

Dec 13, 1999
But what do you do with your used nasty gas/mineral oil/kersone? I end up throwing gallon jugs of it into a nearby dumpster, but I'm just waiting get busted by the EPA?

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Great results here with BelRay filter Oil, and the UNI spray foam filter cleaner. That stuff takes the grime right off in about 3 minutes.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Twin-Air Tub is the ticket!!

I have to agree with Yardpro. I tried everything and thought that I had a "special blend" cleaner of thinner and other secret ingredients, until I watched a bud clean his in the twin air tub in about 30-45 seconds and it was like brand new. Then I found out that he does this after every 2-3 rides and his filter looked like new and was about a year old. My two month old twin air filter looked like a shotgun hit it from me wringing it to death. So I got the tub and won't ever go back. One whole season on the cleaner and it still looks pretty good. Another friend also says he keeps cheese cloth (ask your mom) in the bottom and pulls it up every month or so slowly to get the big dirt out. I will just edge my driveway when mine gets too bad.
As for the 5 gal bucket, it should work, but I would make sure that it seals up good so the clean does not evaporate.
Sorry about getting long winded, recovering from knee surgery and all I can do is write, not ride, it's killing me!!!
Stan

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Re: Mineral Spirits/turpentine

Originally posted by KDX220rm:
"I used to use gas, but after having two filters fall apart, I finally saw what gas was doing to the foam."

I now use the PJ1 cleaner / oil system too, after having used the old gasoline / 20-50W practice for over 30 years.
Gas is more effective though, i'll admit. ;)
As far as it making foam filters fall apart...........
Ive heard this one many times, but in thirty years (and probably over 30 bikes) i NEVER had one filter fall apart or even degrade due to the effects of gasoline.
In fact the filter in my '82 500R was cleaned -w- gas until just this year.
Still looks like new to me! (it's the oem unit)
Although my ex-father in law says his (my old) 125's filter got a bit raggedy and he had to replace it. (after 28 years.....)
Maybe modern bikes just use "weinie" filters? :p

FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
CRguyStan or YardPro
How big or tall is the tub hwat are the dimesions
how much liquid does it hold?
I just bought the cleaner and its only 4 liters and I planned on using a 5 gallon bucket but I think its too big and I want something smaller. I guess I need to spent the extra $$ for the damn tub.

I less I can use a smaller bucket
can you let me know what size (dimensions) of the tub and How much liquid it holds ? you put all of the 4 liter in it right ?

Last edited:

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
the tub is about 12" high by the same wide? I'm guessing because my tub is at my shop. I thought that the tub was worth the $9.00 because of the following reasons:
The tub is well sized for te 4 liters ( yes you use all of it)
the tub has a sealable lid
the tub says what it is on the outside so there is less chance of someone either dumping it out or pouring something else in.
thu tub comes with a convenient cage that keeps the filter from reaching the bottom and contacting the crud that precipitates to the bottom.
Ifyou can get ahold of something like a rubbermaid container the right size that would work as well. Since I've had mine for over a year now, with the same reaner, it was well worth the $20.00 for the whole kit. once you get to using the stuff you'll be in love.
I'll try and remember to get you the dimensions today and post them this afternoon.

MO-dirt-AR

Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by RM252
But what do you do with your used nasty gas/mineral oil/kersone? I end up throwing gallon jugs of it into a nearby dumpster, but I'm just waiting get busted by the EPA?

I don't know about other areas, but here in Kansas City the city runs a free "haz-mat" recycling center for that kind of stuff (gasoline, paint, auto fluids, pesticides & herbicides, pool chemicals, etc.). I put the various cruds in old plastic bottles (1-gal oil, clorox, cat litter, windshield cleaner, etc.) and make a run to the recycler when I get a load. Check your phone book for city or county "Dept. of Environmental Mgt" or similar.

Top Bottom