cleaning up works pipe

metal457

Sep 28, 2001
I have a pro circuit works pipe and it has a problem with rust. I have been using WD-40 on it and that stopped it, but it still has the rust on it. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the rust off. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I use rust remover gel(navel jelly?) and let it sit for quite some time(an hour or so). Then I use a soft wire bruse in a drill to remove the rust and the gel and the pipe looks like new and it even has that factory ball burnished look. Then I clear coat it with hi temp clear coat. Works quite well.
BTW, take the pipe off the bike when doing this. It can get very messy. :)

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Kawie, would one of those drill brushes damage an O ring chain if I tried to polish the rust off the sideplates? I wouldn't polish the rollers obviously.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Buzz,
Be very careful with those brushes. You could also use a wire brush end on a Dremel, if you have one, but make sure you wear safety glasses with either.
Those wires will come off while grinding and they can seem to find eyes very easily. They can also land in bad spots like between a roller and a plate. Takes a few minutes more, but using steel wool is a better idea all around.
I wouldn't suggest using naval jelly on an o-ring chain either as the caustic jelly will damage rings if it comes in contact with them.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Yeah, I have a dremel. Wouldn't you know that out of 70 accessories that come with it, theres no wire brush. I'll have to get one.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I've been cleaning up my pipe with steel wool and brake fluid, the rust makes short work of the steel wool though, be prepared to use at least a bag on one pipe.

dae100

Oct 2, 2000
Metal,

Lime Away works very well on pipes.
Just remove the pipe.
Pour the Lime Away on the pipe, scrub a little with a Scotch-Brite Pad, and rinse.
Actually, as you put on the Lime Away; you can see most of the rust disappear.

Read the directions on the bottle and you should be good to go.

David Evans

Eleven

Jul 10, 2000
on my works pipe (that rusts a grip also) i just put CLR in a cup and apply it with tooth brush.....then after scrubbing with the brush i just wipe it with a rag....works real well

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…