FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Clearing the ole' tabletop

I am having trouble clearing a tabletop at the local track, its a 70 footer and i have awesome speed coming at it, i take the switchback right before it faster then anyone there. I hit the jump in 4th mid, I tried it in 3rd gear but it was over-revving. I also tried compessing the suspension by jumping down on the forks on the face but they are already compessed by the g-force of going uphill and they were too far in the stroke to further compress. What can i do to go further and not higher off the tabletop. I was right behind a 426f and he cruised up to it a little slower then me and he blipped the throttle on the face and he cleared the whole thing, he didnt go as high as me tho. I had the same feeling Keanu Reeves had when Morpehus jumps from building. WHOA. How can i adjust my suspension and or riding technique to clear the jump?

Last edited:

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Hmm, maybe i am getting tunnel vision and feeling like im going faster?
As the sports broadcaster for CBS New York, Warner Wolf says " Lets go to the video tape".

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I'm guessing your riding a 125. There's a 60-65 ft table at the local track thats pretty easy to clear on the pipe in 3rd gear.

Don't ya just love that 'flying' feeling? Its killer

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
have someone watch you hit the face of the jump, or videotape it from somewhere where you can hear your bike. listen to your rpms as you go off the jump. my guess is that you are chopping the throttle on launch, which kills all of your momentum. another thing that i used to do to get me to accelerate hard off of the launch, is to not accelerate so hard out of the corner before it, then just rip it all of the way off of the jump. alot of times if you just hold it steady all the way off of the jump you will just get that little bit of extra power you need. one more thing, the highest way isn't the fastest way. once you can consistantly clear this jump, try and absorb some of the launch once you know you have enough momentum. you'll get it, just cut the track until you get it right.:)

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Ive been afraid of doing it in 3rd gear, it doesnt actually over-rev just revs high and powerband is almost unpredictable to me. Ohh well i guess i have to face my fears and hit the beast. Good thing im going next week with my racing buddy, im sure hell show me some new lines and techniques. Also, im going to be watching Gary Semics tapes non-stop until SUNDAY,SUNDAY,SUNDAY.
Also im going to video tape myself and see whats going on that i cant see/hear. I wish i could bring my vcr with me, i can only watch the tape in the camcorder, no audio :(

Last edited:

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by roostinbe
A lot of times if you just hold it steady all the way off of the jump you will just get that little bit of extra power you need. :)

This good advice roostinbe!! Try just keeping the throttle at half all the way off the jump in third and adjust how much more you need to go till you clear it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I'm not sure exactly what technique you are using. Here is what I would do, but it may clash with your present style, or you may not be comfortable with it.

1. Go faster thru the corner (switchback)! You have to go way faster than the bigger bikes to make up for the dif. in power! Rail that sucker, and come out hot. Get on the gas sooner than you can (ha ha). This is just as important as anything!

2. Make sure you are leaning back enough to get max traction as you exit the switchback. Even if you are spinning just a little bit, this will help.

3. It sounds like you are jumping in fourth. Have you tried clutching the crap out of it all the way up the ramp? This will give you max lift.

4. Preload with your legs. Remember, the rear end plays a role too. If the forks are compressing way down with this, it could make the bike a bit unpredictable. More compression damping could help, but it may not be worth changing this just for one jump.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Local track has a 65' table that I was having a tough time clearing. Couldn't do it in 3rd, tried 4th and still couldn't clear it. I was tapped out, holding that throttle wide open as long as I possibly could.

Had the video camera out shooting some footage of the kids. Wife grabs the camera and turns it on me. Get home that night and am shocked and embarrassed. Turns out, I was shutting off at the base of the jump. No wonder I couldn't clear it. Went back out and found that if I truly hold the throttle open until I'm in the air, I'll overjump it in 3rd.

In short, I'd bet that you are shutting off far earlier than you think you are and the video won't lie about what is happening.

Good luck, have fun and don't ride over your head.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
I wish i went to the practice track, my dad is such a... fartknocker, he didnt take me. I cant wait till i get my license. Next time i go ill let you know what i was doing rong.

Top Bottom