Feb 3, 2004
Can somebody please help me out
I need to get a new clutch basket for my 2000 RM 250 the problem is that it is about $500 canadian with taxes :yikes: . I was looking for a good used one and was wondering what other model years would fit this bike. I.e. will the assembly out of a 1997 fit a 2000? I spoke to 2 different dealers and one told me "yes" and the other told me "no" I figured somebody here could tell me. Thanks

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
A clutch basket is a wear part.

Buying used wear parts is rarely a good idea. Yeah, you might get lucky and get a decent one, but more than likely you'll just be buying another worn out hunk of junk.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A clutch basket isn't 500 $ canadian. I bought my brand new Vortex clutch basket (much better than original) for my 125 at 270 $ can. I know your cylinder is twice as big as mine but your clutch basket should be about the same price.

Last edited:

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
look the part numbers up on microfiche.,and see if they are the same
if you have grooves in the tabs-- you can file them smooth again ,i have done this to a buch of baskets it works ,you should get a nother season out of it

Feb 3, 2004
Inner Basket - $316
Outer Basket - $101

Not including tax - So, 417+ 14% tax is pretty close to $500. Help me out if you know where I can get it cheaper.

The bike stalls when I put it in gear, so I took it to the garage, the mechanic took out the basket and told me it need to be replaced - do you recommend filing or should I replace?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Filing will work only once and that is if the notches aren't too big. Afterwards the basket will wear much quicker. Did you take a look at vortex? What is the outer basket you are talking about? Do you mean the pressure plate?

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
I had a 2001 RM125 with the same problem, grabby clutch. Each winter I would pull and file the basket and it would get me thru the year. Last year I finally got tired of filing so I bought a new billet aluminum basket made by Performance Engineering for $150 US. I just checked and you can mail order one from Motorsport.com for a RM250 for 139.95US. I also replaced the clutch plates and springs at the same time and was very happy with the results.

Top Bottom