clutch basket rebuild vs billet basket

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ok ladies and gents, the clutch on the rm is well on its way out and the basket is notched.

i have two options, and i am interested to hear which you think is best.

1. send the current basket to stormin norman and have the stainless steel inserts- price $110

2. just buy a billet basket from him for $130

it seems to me #1 is best since i would expect the basket with the inserts to last longer, my only issue is that i am putting a lot of abuse on the clutch so i am also thinking the billet basket might be less likely to shatter/explode.

it might seem daft that i am concerned about this since i am not the fastest of riders, but being a bigger guy on a small bike i clutch it a lot- it looked and measured really good a few months ago when i built the engine but its really grabby and notched bad after probably less than 40 hours.

Endless Mike

Oct 30, 2003
Personally I would go with the Billet Basket, the 144 kitted RM has a ton of power for a 125, you should strengthen the clutch as much you can. Good luck

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
DO you have a website for stormin norman?? My clutch will be needing some service, wanna know all my options..
Thanks in advance,
Rick

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
here is a company in France that makes something imilar to the Stormin Normans rework. They have billet clutch baskets with removable glide areas. Looks like this: CLICK!
The manufacturer is www.motoevasion.com and they list http://www.euracc.com as importer for Canada (none for the US).
I held one of these baskets in my hands at the German importer and it did look really well designed and made, but with 279,- € for the basket and 26,- for a set of replacement gliders they are a bit expensive.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Bruce,
I went with a Stormin Norman billet basket on no_Mo's KX125. It has held up well under abouse of a 6'3 200 LB teenager, in addition to Eric's big bore kit. The rest of the bike is not as lucky. :silly:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks for the replies guys- i will probably go with a billet basket since i wont have to ship all my stuff to mr stormin. i think he offers a waranty on his baskets???? that barnett one looks nice but is around $250 and they dont have them for many bikes yet. i am not much heavier than slo mo's lad and probably nowhere near as fast so i should be ok. :)

http://www.storminnormansracing.com

hey Kiwi- we just have to get past the french and we will see you in the final???????

Top Bottom