Clutch Basket replacement in 2001 YZ125

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
The clutch basket in my YZ125 was notched and dragged quite badly when I bought it so I filed it a little for a temporary fix. I want to buy a new basket for it but it looks as though you have to install the primary gear off the old basket onto the new one. How hard is this to do and what does it envolve?

Another question: What basket should I get. I know Hinson's are probably the best but what about a PE (Performance Engineering) brand or a Z-Billet brand has anyone had any experience with these? The bike is trail ridden by my girlfriend so it doesn't see a lot of abuse.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stacy

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The hardest part is going to be getting the center locking nut out, but I made a cheap holding tool using one old friction & drive plate screwed together. The trick is finding something that will spin the nut off fast enough. You can try putting the bike in gear and using a rachet but I don't think my clutch holding tool is strong enough for that. As far as attaching the gear to the basket thats the easy part some bikes you have to drill out the old screws. I had the complete Hinson setup on my '02 YZ 125, but I got it cheap, I would suggest the PE basket it's a copy of the hinson at half the cost the other difference's I see is it doesn't say thier name in the center of the basket big deal. You buy a hinson your paying for the name sorta like buying a pair of Air Jordan's :) hehe. The gotta pay for those sponserships some how, Ricky doesn't come cheap haha.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
Removing the nut is fairly simple for me. I used an air impact wrench. Spun it right off. Drilling out the screws it what I was most curious about. I figured that the PE would be sufficient but since I have had no hands on experience I thought I would ask around. Thanks for the help.

Any secret to removing the gear or do I just center punch it to get a good starting point and drill away?

Pit Man

Feb 16, 2003
I helped a friend replace his basket and plates on a 98 RM 250.He went with the Stormin Norman's Billet basket with stainless inserts for around $ 250 I think.
To remove your gear I would center-punch the rivets on the inside of the basket , and then drill out the head. Then you'll have to use another punch to drive the rivets out.
I did a search on this site and found all this info when I helped my buddy.
Good Luck ,It's not that difficult.

Pit Man

Feb 16, 2003
Another thing about drilling the inside of the basket-You need to save the plate that helps hold the gear on the basket.You also don't have to drill all the way through the rivet.Just where you see the shank.

Top Bottom