Moto-Chains

Aug 15, 2005
The clutch basket on my daughters kx60 has groves some as much as about .020". I don't really want to replace it, it isn't bolt on, it appears to need to be pressed or riveted to the gear behind it. The question is, how much wear is too much wear, and what if I filed the groves out or smoother would this be worse or better. Its problem is just flakey operation of the clutch - erratic. Adjustments don't stay the same from one lever pull to the next.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
If it is a newer KX60 you may find a cheap used, but not abused basket on the popular auction site. If older, good luck :-( And don't even think about buying one from a dealer unless you ABSOLUTELY need a new one.

I am facing the same dilemna with an '86 KX80 I just picked up for a friend's kid. Basket would have cost me over $125, so I just filed it. I didn't check the actual size of the wear marks, but .020 - .050 sounds about the same.

Worst case is that after another six months I need to replace the basket with another used one from that auction site, or maybe even buy a new one. But for now the grooves are gone, the clutch action is smooth, and the bike works...until he tears it up again ;-)

Good luck!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Almost all aftermarket clutch baskets will require you to remove the gear from the factory basket and attach with bolts. I believe Hinson supplies the proper bolts. However, I just read somewhere that Hinson is starting to supply a gear on their baskets.

phatford92

Jun 9, 2007
Yah its pretty standard that you have to get the gear removed but like he said maybe hinson makes them with gears on it also filing it will work but if it's to much play its gonna be no good

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Getting the gear off the basket is not too bad. Took me about half an hour with a drill. The Hinson baskets do come with new bolts to replace the now drilled out rivets. Also the gear in the middle (if it is simular to what I have experienced) will come with a little heat. The job is not too bad if you take your time. You can file the grooves out, but the fibers could have a pretty sloppy fit and you will back in the clutch much quicker.

Top Bottom