spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
I have gone about pricing some things out for a new clutch. godam its expensive. now here is waht i have come up with and i am deciding on weather to go with factory or aftermarket.
i am thinking that i could do without replacing the clutch basket, however it is grooved up.
if i replace the plates would it be worth the extra to get the clutch basket too??

Honda cr250 factory clutch kit: $162.79 (US) plus shipping
Barnett Clutch Kit: $117.97 (US)
EBC DRC79-MG Honda CR250 clutch kit $82.95 (CHEAPEST)

PE (performance engineering) CLutch basket: $139.95 (US)
Hinson Clutch basket: $214 (US)
Vortex Clutch Basket: $199.00 (US)

clutch kits have springs, steel plates and friction plates.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Take a deep breath , and replace everything thats not ok....If you change the plates and keep riding with a notched basket , they will wear faster , and maybe the clutch will grab.
Dont know the other brands , but Hinson is top quality , the Honda baskets are normally pretty good. If you have alu plain plates in the clutch , I would change them for steel plates too.The alu makes the oil dirty real quick , much easier life for bearings and gears with steel plates....

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We just put a Barnett kit in my son's Zook and I'm disappointed. I had read many posts on here from folks who had issues with the Barnett kit, enough that made me want to avoid them. Unfortunately that was all the dealer had in stock and we had to decide between the Barnett kit or downtime. The next kit we do will be the one from DP brakes, supposed to be a real good kit, I would stick with stock normally but we have seen alot of shattered RM125 plates this year.

You can usually get away with milling the basket once before replacing it with a new one.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
I know its easy to spend other peoples money but if I were in your position, it would be the OEM clutch kit and the Hinson basket for me.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If your basket hasn't been filed down before, I would file it smooth, polish it, and save the money. It really doesn't take that much time.

spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for all the help, what i think am going to end up doing is leaving the plates alone for now (thy are winthin service limits)

and i will file downt he basket grooves and replace a couple of the steel plates of the clutch that are grooved up real badly.

replacing only 1 or 2 plates, i know is not recommended, but it will be a lot less that replacing the whole clutch. and what else can it break.

feed back is appreciated

rmbro

Jul 28, 2004
the poor ol cr blew her clutch trying to keep up with me on the rm :eek: jokin! I hope the fix works because we gotta get out soon!

spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
YOU! haha

thanks for reminding me of this site, its a great forum!

next weekend we'll be ready to rock.

i am going to replace just 1 plate, file up the clutch basket notches and put different oils in it and hope for the best...

:eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom