Clutch effort too high on 1973 GT80

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Does anyone have ideas on how to soften the clutch effort on this bike? Can you take out a couple clutch springs, or will that cause other problems.

Thanks!

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Do not take out any clutch springs, that will cause problems!

Go to your local bike dealer and get a "cable luber" they are made by motion pro and other companies similar. They basically attach to the cable and you can get a can of spray lube and attach it to the luber, then just spray.

Your other option is to get a new cable, but I feel that with the bike being that old the cable has worn and is dry. So either lube it or get a new cable.

This will be the most effective :thumb:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I have already installed a new cable and it didn't make much difference. I should have mentioned that before. Sorry!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Taking out of the springs can cause slippage of the clutch. A bike of that vintage I would suspect some corrosion in the clutch cable. Get a new cable or have one made and then lubricate it well. Most people dont keep up on cable lubrication and that leads to hard to pull clutches

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I should also mention that the shaft that goes through from the clutch cable side to the clutch plate side was bent and i replaced it. Now everything seems to work smoothly, just with high effort. By comparison, my '75 TY175 takes about half the effort.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would lube the NEW cable too, with some type of cable lube or TriFlow with Teflon.
If that doesn't make it easier, then something isn't working smoothly or you have really stiff clutch springs.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Maybe go to your dealer and see if they have some softer springs to put in there. You could try replacing them all with softer springs or a few with softer springs.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…