mrimike

Feb 18, 2007
i was told that the fiber discs have a front and back disc.... they are different from the middle ones... When i put mine together on my 96 rm250 i did not notice any differences between the discs? I have a bit of clutch chatter...(kinda goes away when i pull the clutch).. but the basket had some notches in it.... Is this normal?... clutch discs were new
clutch operates fine.. but chatters a bit. am i ok? i dont want it to grenade in there.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
I wouldn't worry too much about a clutch grenading. A clutch will stop working properly, not explode.The notches on the basket are a sign of wear, but if the clutch still works normally I would just leave it.
When your clutch starts to remain engaged with the lever in (ie bike pulls forward when revved with the lever in) , the first step is usually to file the notches out of the basket. If it is too worn it will need replacing.
As for the springs, a manual should give you a spec to measure for those.

You could go and buy a complete new clutch if you pocket is chocked full of money. After all completely new is always ace, but I would leave it if I were you.

mrimike

Feb 18, 2007
so any idea of the order of fiber discs?
the manual didnt mention an order.. I just alternated disc/plate. All the discs looked the same to me.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I can't speak to that particular bike, but I have "heard" certain bikes have an order to stacking the fibers. But as you noted, if your manual is silent to the point, and they all look the same, I wouldn't sweat it. I would guess your chatter is NOT due to this, but rather to something else. Also, RM's are notorious for grabby clutches, so it could even be considered "normal" for that bike! :)

Big Worm

Mar 2, 2007
mrimike said:
so any idea of the order of fiber discs?
the manual didnt mention an order.. I just alternated disc/plate. All the discs looked the same to me.

you should stack the plates fiber-metal-fiber-metal. you should end up with a fiber at each end. I went with a Barnett's clutch kit and each fiber disc had a red mark on it, so I just lined up each the fibers with the red marks all in place together. When stacking the metals the flat surface should face out.

Top Bottom