zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
Good afternoon. I'm hoping the wisdom of the forum can help me here.

I have a 95,A2 kdx 220. Brilliant bike runs great and provides lots of fun. However the clutch slips when high in the rev range. As it is old I have decided to fit new springs as a matter of course and then set it all back up with the correct adjustment.

What I want to know is how many friction and steel plates should there be? I think some one has been in the clutch and left out a plate. My manual shows the last plate to be a friction and that it sits in a different position to the others (in its own groove in the top of the tangs of the clutch basket). My plates finish with a steel plate against the spring and spring seat that push against the clutch hub. All the friction plates sit in between the tangs of the clutch basket and the groove at the top of the tang is empty.

I have looked at the manual and the various web sites showing parts diagrams but none of these give a number of friction and steel plates. They also give different torque settings for the clutch hub nut, my kdx200 base manul shows 65ft-lb and other have shown 58ft-lb.

If any one could shed some light on the matter I would be most grateful. Regards Zedsdead.

zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
I haven't be able to look at the kawasaki site, for some reason it tells me my user time out has ended each time I try to see a parts diagram. Your link how ever went straight through, thank you. I am reasonably convinced the 95 an 97 bikes are the same. The thrust plate in the diagram has four springs and bolts, this is the same as mine. I know different models had five springs and bolts.
My clutch pack only has seven friction plates and ends with a steel plate so I'm sure it's missing a plate. Shame the diagrams do not list the torque settings. maybe I'll be lucky and some one will come up with the answer.
Thanks for your help. Regards Zedsdead.

zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
On the diagram on your link; the clutch hub nut part 92015 and the bolts part 130. I'm sure these are different to the settings I have in my base manual as it's for the 200.
Thank you.

zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
Well I thought they would be but it seems there are some differences. In the diagram in your link part 13091a uses four springs and bolts, this is the same as my 220. My base manual (covering 200 H1, H2 and H3) shows this part to have five bolts and springs. Because of the difference I wonder if the torque settings have been altered to take into account only using four springs instead of five.
I don't think so as the parts still perform the same task, I think kawasaki went down one spring to make the clutch lighter to operate. I have asked my dealer and he can find part numbers but cannot find individual torque settings as he doesn't have the manual for a 220 model A2.
I have ordered all the bits and they are on there way from Holland!
It would just be nice to know that when I rebuild the clutch I am not going to be over tightening anything.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
OK, in the USA, I think all the KDX's are plastic tank and premix. I know some non-USA models are dirt only, and some are dual-purpose with a metal tank and oil injection. Since you are in the UK, I assume you are familiar with the KDX125. We don't have that one here.

Now that I think of it, I think the KDX220 B models are the dual purpose ones.

I am wondering if your model is like a 1989 - 1994 clutch model.

zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
I've found out I can access the kawasaki web site at work. When I next go in I will go through the parts diagrams for the different models. Maybe this will help shed some light on the subject. Also I will see if I can find the equivalent japanese site as I know the american site only goes back to 97.
There may be light at the end of the tunnel yet!

zedsdead

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for your help. The parts arrived yesterday, I have fitted them and will be out for a test ride this afternoon. Just a quick blast up the street shows a great improvement.

Regards Zedsdead.

Top Bottom