clutch idling, do your 2strokes idle in gear?

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
ive got a kx125 and it doesnt idle in gear and the clutch doesnt always hold in low rpms,(if i want to stop i have to give the engine some good revs) is this the same for everyone or is there a problem?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Most likely the clutch basket and hub are notched where the fiber plates and drive plates sit. This causes them to want to be locked in position even when the clutch is released. Almost always the cause of a dragging clutch.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
None of my 2 strokes have idled very well, if at all. In fact, that was one of the first things I noticed when I started my 450F for the first time- it idled!!!

What your 2-stroke is trying to tell you is "Rev me, or I'll die!" :)

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
hmm well im going to check out my basket tomorow and see if its got the grooves in it. ill try filing it out but with my luck ill have to buy a new basket

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
tell me if that works because mine wont idle in gear either. i have to keep reving it

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Even on a brand new 2 smoker, the clutch will drag slightly. And, it's tough to get them to idle in gear. All my 2 smokers acted that way. Now if the clutch gets really grabby while disengaged (lever in), then you've got some grooves in your clutch basket.

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
clutch basket appears to be ok, ill mess with the freeplay some more tomorow, most will grab and die but for some reason mine is particularly bad, i cant figure out why either.

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
NM_KDX200 said:
None of my 2 strokes have idled very well, if at all. In fact, that was one of the first things I noticed when I started my 450F for the first time- it idled!!!

What your 2-stroke is trying to tell you is "Rev me, or I'll die!" :)

yeah thats what i thought with my old 2 strokes then i got a Honda cr250 that was 10 years old and it never dies... clutch in or in neutral it dose not idle to high

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
is there any way that the bike can be set to not die if the clutch is pulled and is idling? Im trying to use this as a hill climber and trails but if you get stopped it gets tricky.

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
dirtbike2244 said:
is there any way that the bike can be set to not die if the clutch is pulled and is idling? Im trying to use this as a hill climber and trails but if you get stopped it gets tricky.

my idle dosent die when i put it into gear. Maybe as he said set the idle higher

dirtbike2244

Mar 22, 2007
i tried messing with the clutch freeplay and the idling screw with no luck, im probably going to sell and get something a little more suited for hill climbing

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirtbike2244 said:

You can solve the problem easily and make the bike much better suited to hill climbing and trails overall by installing a Rekluse auto-clutch. http://www.rekluse.com/

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
Most of the time my bike will not idle in gear at all. But every once in a good while when i pull up to talk to someone in gear it will idle. My clutch basket is the stock one as far as i know and thats 10yrs old. I would have to assume that is my problem.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
It's just the way race bikes are set up. My friends kdx200 has no problems with this and even another buddy has a kdx220r and has no problems with it, but every race bike I've ridden has issues with this. I ride my yz250 mostly trails and it has been a non issue for me. There is a bit of pull, and my idle drops when I put it in gear, but not enough to kill my bike or anything. I guess just pull the front brake and blip your throttle a bit when you're sitting there...

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
what kind of oil you putting in the case? I have had issues with some and now use ATF type F and my RM250 will idle fine in gear at any given time when clutch pulled in.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
what kind of oil you putting in the case? I have had issues with some and now use ATF type F and my RM250 will idle fine in gear at any given time when clutch pulled in.

yea i have found this to be true also. Atf gives a better clutch action and you can kick start in gear with the clutch in easier too.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Although I've had clutch drag with a cold motor, for the most part every mx bike I have had would idle in gear. Even my 99RM125 with a heavily-grooved clutch basket would idle. Make sure the cable is in good shape, and isn't streched. If your lever is bent slightly, that could even be enough to limit the throw of the clutch release to cause it to drag.

Top Bottom