johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
Hi all my kid bought an 85 KTM ,the clutch feels odd I think the springs may be gone ? Not sure though You cant start the bike in gear with the clutch in (lurches forward )and you cant roll out the clutch it grabs right at the top (just before the lever is all the way out ) but it doesnt seem to slip at all ?? Another odd thing I drained the oil (reddish sweet smelling stuff) and refilled with Amsoil 20/50 synthetic after one ride I checked it and it was a pearl silver colour?Non compatible oils mixing ??
Thanks for any advise you can share

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like there may be some basket notching goin' on. Pull the clutch cover and have a look.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Hey Wolf don't you have some recent experience with that? ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
and maybe even the day before that. ;)

johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
Thanks I'll do that see if I can remember what I'm looking for! been a long time since I've had a bike long enough to have to work on the clutch ! I'll ask again if I get stuck
Thanks

johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
Good call basket is notched question now is can you smooth them out at all ? I dont think using the old discs in a new basket would be good idea but they seem in pretty good shape still? Thoughts ? never thought to mark which position they came out of thinking that was dumb

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I filed mine down a while ago to buy myself some time, but it didn't last long at all. It also depends on how bad the notching is.
If you decide to file, you might want to order a new basket anyway, so you are ready for next time.
If the plates are good, use them.

johnnyair

Mar 30, 2009
Ok thanks, thats what I had in mind I actually called about the basket already and the guys said no way to using the old plates So I'll just smooth them out a bit and try it for now just wanted to make sure there wasnt any danger of something going really wrong and damaging other things.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I wouldn't use the old plates with the new basket, but I think depending on how they look, you'll be fine using the old ones with the filed basket.
No need to blow through the new plates with the old basket you are going to replace anyway.

Top Bottom