rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Bike: 1986 Yamaha 125
Problem: destoyed the clutch lever and perch

Okay, so I was riding on New Years, following a much better rider and got cocky, crested a steep hill wound out in second only to discover the other side was even steeper and big jagged rocks.....

My wounds will heal in a few weeks but I am a bit confused about the bike. Fortunately, the only significant damage it sustained was that the clutch lever and perch was ripped off as was the kill switch.

So, I am shopping for a replacement clutch perch. There are $10 versions up to ~ $200 versions.

Uh... you squeeze the lever and it pulls on the cable. It is nice if the adjustment at the perch is easy to operate. What does another $190 do for me?

Can you guys give me your thoughts on the various clutch perchs? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to be riding and hating the new lever....

Rod

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Bike: 1986 Yamaha 125
Problem: destoyed the clutch lever and perch

Okay, so I was riding on New Years, following a much better rider and got cocky, crested a steep hill wound out in second only to discover the other side was even steeper and big jagged rocks.....

My wounds will heal in a few weeks but I am a bit confused about the bike. Fortunately, the only significant damage it sustained was that the clutch lever and perch was ripped off as was the kill switch.

So, I am shopping for a replacement clutch perch. There are $10 versions up to ~ $200 versions.

Uh... you squeeze the lever and it pulls on the cable. It is nice if the adjustment at the perch is easy to operate. What does another $190 do for me?

Can you guys give me your thoughts on the various clutch perchs? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to be riding and hating the new lever....

Rod

Tell ya what.. Send me $90 and buy 10 of the $10 versions...

You'll be in the same financial position as you would be buying the expensive version, but you'll feel so much better about yourself knowing I have a little pocket change!! ;)

I personally don't see any reason to spend 200 bucks on perches unless you are racing and have backing from someone who is willing to spend that sorta cash.

Consider this, how long have you had your current perch?

Will a $10 version last that long this time?

For me, the cheap version works just fine. So I have to have a couple extra on hand incase I get stupid one day.. Not a big deal.. I don't have 200 bucks to throw around on clutch levers.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Stock replacement makes it real easy to get a new lever whenever you need it. Aftermarket stuff sometimes requires brand specific levers.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
FruDaddy said:
Stock replacement makes it real easy to get a new lever whenever you need it. Aftermarket stuff sometimes requires brand specific levers.

I take it you haven't tried getting replacement parts for a 20 year old bike. I can order parts from Yamaha but it takes a week or more to get them.

Last Thanksgiving I had to replace the brake lever on my son's '96 YZ250. (rode the bike exactly once, broke it and decided to stick to my 125....) Ten year old bikes there are plenty of replacement parts for. I simply drove 15 miles to Barstow and bought an exact match. No problem.

I am looking at a $30 model from Moose racing that does have replacement levers available.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I take it you haven't tried getting replacement parts for a 20 year old bike. I can order parts from Yamaha but it takes a week or more to get them.
Sure haven't, but I didn't check your bike list before I posted either.
Have you considered getting a late model stock perch? It could be a viable option.

Top Bottom