Clutch lever/release lever really loose

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
got a 79 kdx400 rode it around for a bit when i pulled back in the driveway the clutch lever was really loose and had no tension whatsoever. Couldnt switch gears or anything, killed it drug it in the garage fluid is still all there. Where should I start? Im a noob

and i dont think its the cable because pulling the lever still moves the clutch release lever with no tension

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
pull the clutch cover and check the clutch hub nut. Might have backed off. Something might have broken in the actuator linkage behind the cover as well. Whatever the problem is, being that it's not the cable, the answer lies behind the RH cover. :cool:

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
julien_d said:
pull the clutch cover and check the clutch hub nut. Might have backed off. Something might have broken in the actuator linkage behind the cover as well. Whatever the problem is, being that it's not the cable, the answer lies behind the RH cover. :cool:
do i need to drain the oil before pulling the cover??? also im using 75w90 gear oil is that alright? thanks for the quick reply!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You could lay the bike over on it's left side and pull the cover without draining the oil. I wouldn't bother, might as well drain it so as to save yourself the mess.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
julien_d said:
You could lay the bike over on it's left side and pull the cover without draining the oil. I wouldn't bother, might as well drain it so as to save yourself the mess.
so i drain it out get out all but 2 screws and guess what the last 2 are stripped!!! What a PITA!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That sucks. You can grind the head off the screws and that will let the cover slide off, then there should be enough screw sticking out to grab with vice grips and remove. Otherwise your in easy-out territory.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
ordered some extractors should be here wed... anything else i should replace that would be easily replaceable while im doing this? and is it possible that the clutch springs could be the culprit

went to readjust the clutch release lever and when re-tightening the bolt broke off!!! gotta love this 30 y/o equip :pissed:

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, it can be a pain when you're working on a vintage machine, for sure. Have patience, finesse over force, and take your time. It will all be worth it in the end. That's one hell of a machine u got there! There's not a lot accessible from behind the clutch cover. You can check the condition of any bushings and bearings you see though. Replace anything that looks iffy.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
haha thanks
anyone know where i can find some replacement screws/bolts for this thing? or do i gotta try and match em up at the good ole home depot/lowes

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I bought a "big bag" of KDX fasteners from a guy on ebay. Not super cheap, but saves me a lot of trouble running back and forth to the hardware store.

And whenever I do have to run and go get a fastener, I get several, and build up a stock of extras for the future.

Those easy outs can go terribly wrong and create a lot more problems then they solve, so go really carefully. Much better to drill off the head, remove the cover, and go at the remaining post with vice grips. Once the tension of the cover is removed, they may just spin right out easily anyway.

If you do snap off a tap or easy out in that hole, a tungsten carbide bullet shaped dremel bit, and a few hours of mind numbing work, and about a billion little razor sharp splinters of steel embedded in your skin, will get them out. You will need three bits to get through a 3/8" inch easy out stuck in a Buell head. DAMHIK.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
I just found another kdx 400 on craigslist and im gettin it for 200, that should give me a decent amount of back up parts. Well ill be careful pulling these things out. Thanks for the help and wish me luck

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
ok well i pulled it apart and some stuff fell out lol. What the clutch release lever is connected to wasnt connected to anything in the clutch. I took a pic of the pieces that came out I dont really know what parts i need to fix it. the messed up lookin piece had ball bearings but are no longer connected :) nothing else looked damaged in there!!

0526101736.jpg

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Man, I don't even know. Check out some parts fiches and see if you can figure out what's what, and what you need to replace. servicehonda.com has some really nice images in their parts fiches. Dunno if they go back to 79. I'll see what I can find. Looks like the pushrod and actuator need to be replaced, and figure out where that trashed bearing came from.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
21 looks more like a nut and the piece in my hand isnt one of the 3 so thats another one to add :) I wish i knew about this kind of stuff 14 for sure the 2 circular ones are like rings one is big though and the other smaller

anyone in northern va wanna help a brother out :nod:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Could that thing that looks like a smashed up bearing cage be number 20? That would explain the lack of bearing needles or balls floating around in there. Looks like some sort of wave washer.

You need to pull the basket out and start accounting for parts, and checking the condition of all the gears behind/around the clutch basket. Between the parts you take out, the parts that stay in, the pieces of broken parts, and the picture above, you should be able to get it back together correctly and with all the correct bits.

I dunno if you can find a service manual for that 79, but if you can, you should.

jaywhy

Oct 16, 2005
julien_d said:
Could that thing that looks like a smashed up bearing cage be number 20? That would explain the lack of bearing needles or balls floating around in there. Looks like some sort of wave washer.

You need to pull the basket out and start accounting for parts, and checking the condition of all the gears behind/around the clutch basket. Between the parts you take out, the parts that stay in, the pieces of broken parts, and the picture above, you should be able to get it back together correctly and with all the correct bits.

I dunno if you can find a service manual for that 79, but if you can, you should.
Ive came to the conclusion that 3 of those 4 parts are actually 20 (thanks julien)on the diagram ordered it just need to figure out how to put it back together in working order anyone know what the pushrod actuator is supposed to hook up to or touch in the case?

Last edited:

Top Bottom