MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
I like to use my index and middle finger to slip the clutch while riding. If my clutch isn't adjusted just right, I end up hitting my ring finger with the end of the clutch lever so I can't pull it in all the way. Should I be using a different technique? Is there a different clutch lever I should be using? Am I the only one with this problem? FYI - it's an '02 YZ 250F.

Thanks!

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I use the same fingers, and i always hit my other fingers wit hthe lever. Its not a problem for me, because the clutch does not drag at all when its pulled up aginst my fingers

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Keep your clutch adjusted!! ;)

MSR makes a shorty clutch lever called the Raptor, I think. It makes the pull easier, too. Check it out.

Personally, I adjust in a lot of slack into my clutch. I like for my clutch to grab as soon as I start letting out the lever. I feel like I have more control and strength in my fingers at that point. If I thighten my cable to the recommended "quarter betweent the lever and perch" point, by the end of a moto, I can't control the clutch as smoothly as I'd like to.

monkeybutt

Jun 12, 2001
O'neal makes the Prostyle levers which have a bend to prevent hitting the outside fingers. The levers are forged and have a 12 month guarantee against breakage. Check them out,sounds like they'll fix your problem.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Several years ago I bought a set of Oneal Pro Levers and get the wrong ones. I meant to get the ones with the finger cutouts, but ordered the straight ones instead. When I got them I decided to test their unbreakable claim. I put the clutch lever in a vice and bent it in a circle. I was so impressed that I cut the excess off and used it as a one finger clutch for a few years on 2 different bikes!

MJ...if it's comfortable, you might also try sliding the clutch perch inward a little. It will give you more leverage and move the lever a little farther away as well. But as someone already mentioned, you should check the adjustment every time you ride.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Ditto on the prostyles. I always ran them on my CR but the YZ's clutch is adjusted to engage as soon as it is pulled in a small amount so it does not have to be pulled in all the way.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Generally, you slip the clutch (pull it in slightly so that it is still pulling, but also slipping) when you want to keep the RPMs of the motor up where it makes more power without downshifting.

Coming out of a tight turn, you will accelerate faster if you get the engine up to where it makes power and feed the clutch out gradually than if you just left it in gear, twisted the throttle, and waited for the engine to accelerate on its own.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
to accelerate fast out of a turn i rev the bike then dump the clutch. on any other bike it will break the wheel loose. on the TT-R it is IMPOSSIBLE to spin the tire. :) j/k, i too let it out smoothly but if i get in "the zone" where nothing but roosting the shiznit out of every corner is just soooo cool. then i get real as i realize it is doing nothing but transforming my knobbie into a street slick.... anywhoo, slipping the clutch helps the tire to grip better.

opstylee

Sep 29, 2000
A great way to give yourself a shorter lever is to cut it off with some wire cutters at the exact point that you want it to end. Mix up some JB weld, and make a ball at the end a little at a time....your own custom clutch (or brake) lever. It works great for me.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I just bought an ASV billet unbreakable folding clutch lever, they come with a CR style perch, and have a 5 year guarantee against breakage, they are a bit pricey but the way I look at it in 5 years I will spend more than 70.00 on levers and perches anyways, Oh well I love it and it is larger and fatter than most levers which gives you a positive feel when working the clutch, I highly recommend this product

Top Bottom