spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
Just replaced my clutch plates in my 96 RM 125 with OEM Suzuki plates, Moose heavy duty springs, and a Terminator Clutch cable. No visible wear on the basket, pressure plate, or boss. Adjusted a liberal amount of free play at the lever, shifts into gear fine, but will not go into neutral while engine is running. I am running Bel Ray 75W Gear Saver. Will try the ATF fluid from Wal-Mart as a test. Any suggestions?

Bad69

Jul 17, 2003
Does the bike "jump"into gear with the clutch lever pulled in? After you are in gear,with the clutch pulled in does the bike want to travel?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I know on a cr125 you are never advised to use heavy duty springs because the tranny depends on a slip(or something) while you shift. Id try putting some stock springs on it and trying. Also why did you use heavy springs? Were the stock(tension) too weak?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
It sounds like your clutch is dragging. Try removing almost all of the free play from the cable. I adjust so a nickel will just fit between the lever and the perch. The RM's have a very light detent for neutral, so it's very easy to skip over it.

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
I have a 1997 rm 125 and mine will not go into neutral in any gear. I have to get it into neutral to start it, where everyone else I ride with can start there bike in in gear by just pushing in the clutch. I have no clue what to do, but it switches gears just fine.

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
Played with the cable adjustments more and found the right spot. There isn't much room for error, must be an RM thing, or you will miss neutral. I also have a CR 125 and didn't experience these issues when I replaced the clutch in it. I chose the heavy duty springs b/c I like the feel over the stockers, they are too light and the engagement feels much better with the heavy duty springs. Also, big difference with the stainless steel clutch cable too, very smooth.

Thanks for all the replies they were very helpful.

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
"I have a 1997 rm 125 and mine will not go into neutral in any gear. I have to get it into neutral to start it, where everyone else I ride with can start there bike in in gear by just pushing in the clutch. I have no clue what to do, but it switches gears just fine."

I experience that same issue when running a heavy weight gear oil. If the bike is not up to normal operating temp., but after it gets hot, will start in any gear.

KineticPoet

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2002
Originally posted by Bad69
After you are in gear,with the clutch pulled in does the bike want to travel?

My clutch problem is very similar to this. It doesn't jump into gear but when the clutch is pulled in it still wants to go. I've tried adjusting everything on the cable and cant figure out what the problem is. :/

spuddybuford

Jan 31, 2003
it is a possibility that the basket fingers are grooved to the point that they plates are not sliding to the fully engaged position. I saw this on a KDX, replaced all plates, cables and problem did not go away until the basket was replaced. The KDX was also experiencing shifting issues as well, not sure if you are or not. The KDX ran metal instead of fiber friction plates, we replaced the metal ones with fiber and have noticed better wear on the basket fingers.

KineticPoet

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2002
I'm not really experienceing shifting problems. Well, other than it seems to "clunk" into gear when I shift. Seems like it is "chattering" quite a bit when I'm decelerating also.

I'm gonna tear my clutch apart this weekend and see if I can find the source of the problem.

Top Bottom