ldub128

May 31, 2009
I have a 1990 yz250 and when i have the bike in gear ona stand and pull in the clutch the wheel wont spin freely. When its in neutral its fine.

And sometimes when i pull in the clutch to roll to a stop it will tug and just die out cause it doesnt disengage. But it only does it sometimes. Is this a pain to fix? Is the clutch bad? And Ive been having problems losing power up top could this have anything to do with that?

Thanks for any help in advance.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The clutch issue may be the clutch basket. When they wear, they make the clutch hard to disengage. Common problem. Might require more than basic hand tools to fix.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Worn/improperly installed clutch, or the type of oil you are running. A warped drive plate, notched basket/inner hub, warped pressure plate, and even the posts between the springs can get grooves. Put the washers in wrong? Cold, a lot of bikes do this. And, on the stand is not a good reference. After 5 minutes and it does it, thats a problem.

lake

Oct 30, 2008
I had the same problem with my cr 125, it turns out i just had one of the washers in wrong. But like "whenfoxforks-ruled" said drive it around a bit and let the bike get warmed up first.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Open it up and look

Adjust cable freeplay. If all good then..

Go in there and have a look at it. My guess is either a notched basket or a broken plate(s). Lay it down on the left side, take off the clutch cover, depress the rear brake to get the cover off, take out the bolts holding the springs and the pressure plate, and pull all the fibers and steels out to have a look. Check it all out, it only will take 30min. or so.

Top Bottom