Clutch / Oil question

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Will wearing clutch plated cause my tranny oil to turn whitish in color, and a little foamy ? I just replaced impeller shaft oil and water seals ? Or are they just leaking a little. The oil had alot of "dust" in it but the clutch doesn't slip? Tear it down or run it ?

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Assuming it's a 2 stroke......What kind of 'dust', if it is silver then it's metal. If it's metal then you need to do something about it. Find out if it is steel or aluminium using a magnet. If it's steel then it's more serious and will mean a complete tear down (top and bottom), if it's aluminium then get the clutch out and look at the plates for damage and wear, if they are worn they get hot 'cos they slip, when they get hot they get weak and can break into bits, ending up getting mached in the tranny.

If you only have a little amount of alu dust in the oil it could be normal wear from around the clutch basket/plate contact areas. It sounds like you need to do oil changes more often though.

If the repair of the impeller seals went well, and you used plently of oil on the seal lips to avoid snagging them, then it is still possible you have water entering via the tranny overflow during power washing(plug it up next time to be sure) or riding through streams.
I agree with Hunter, whiteish oil (emulsified) means you have water in there and need to fix.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
ok thanks, Oil changes are often and yes it is a two stroker, The color is just off white, I guess back to then impellar seals and then for some crank seals...thanks again.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I can't see bad crank seals giving you white/foamy tranny oil, there's no water in the crank.
Are you losing water when measured at the radiator filler cap?

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
The aluminum clutch plates, when worn bad, will turn the oil grey. But, foamy does sound like water. Is this on your 01 yz?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…