glasman

Mar 14, 2001
I've been riding with some friends who race moto-x and they tell me they never use the clutch while riding, only on starts and slipping it in turns. Will this cause damage? I use my clutch, but have tried without it, seems like you can go faster not using it. Just dont want to break anything! Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
'95 Honda XR-600R

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
People have mixed fealings about it. The clutch is there for a reason but most people agree that it will cause very minimal damage if any.

------------------
1998 CR 125 MoO machine.
"To much honey is bad for you"

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The dogs on the gears are designed to engage the gearsets under a load. Of course, there is some additional wear to parts when shifting under power, but it is minimal. You aren't going to hurt anything by shifting clutchless. I generally only touch my clutch when starting or when I need to slip it for revs in a taller gear, like coming out of a turn or climbing a hill.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

glasman

Mar 14, 2001
Thanks guys. Everyone i talk to says the same thing, no damage. I guess it wouldnt, being that the tranny is constant mesh. Just wanted to make sure. I dont race, so i'll continue to use the clutch, but if i'm hot dogging it with friends its nice to know i can speed shift if need be. Thanks again.

------------------
'95 Honda XR-600R

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'd say somethings going to break if you don't use it. I can't afford a new tranny so I use it.

------------------

roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
do you need to drop the revs when you shift clutchless or is it ok to shift while under throttle ?

------------------
YEEEAAAAHHHH TESTOSTERONE !!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If I'm on the gas hard, I tap the clutch as I shift without letting of the gas.

I will occasionally shift without the clutch, but never while on the gas.

If I shift while in the air, I never use the clutch.

------------------

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
Im with gomer. I never use the clutch when im cruising trails (unless they are really tight) I only use the clutch for brake control in the air, (i race a lot of supercross so sometimes i have to get on the brakes in the air) and shifting up when im on it hard. i never use it shifting down. another thing to think about is that most bikes won't let you shift without a clutch if it isn't right. you just have to have the rpms right.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer:

If I shift while in the air, I never use the clutch.

Gomer, have you ever stalled a bike in the air not using the clutch? I generally don't get a lot of air but have been afraid of killing the bike in the air and pogoing off the landing. I know you have experience at this (pogoing - see SF '00) :p but I would like to be able to know if I didn't use the clutch I don't have to worry about it.

thanks

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've never stalled one from shifting in the air...I don't think it will cause that.

I've stalled several in the air from hitting the rear brake without pulling the clutch. It gets real quiet floating through the air without the engine running.

That was how I found out how hard my KTM620 was to bump start, also. :)

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
You should without question be able to shift up on full gas without the clutch.

10 years, 5 bikes, never a single problem.

Full on the gas, don't dip the cltch, don't back off, use good oil - holeshot! :) :)

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
ZSR...none of those 5 bikes was an early to mid 90s YZ, were they? :)

Neither my 90 nor my 95 YZ would reliably shift up under full power, even when using the clutch.

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Actually YES! :) :)I was the guy who bought the dog of all 125's a 93 YZ!!

Bikes were '91 KX60 /'93 CR80 / 93 YZ125 (and it was pink!)/ 98 CR125 / 01 CR250

The YZ was the only bike we could leave outside the house all night with no fear anyone would steal it. They've certainly made up for those bikes now though, wish we had one.

Forgot 96 CR100 - six bikes

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

[This message has been edited by zsr (edited 04-18-2001).]

Top Bottom