bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I thought I'd take the KDX out in the recent snow received here in mid Missouri. I went out on Saturday and had some fun! Lots of powersliding and roosting on the snow-covered gravel road. Not as much fun in the woods behind the house, though. Unless you hit *every* root/rock/log head on...yeah...you're down. :)

Thankfully I never got enough traction to go over a walking pace in the woods. However, a bummer did occur. :( I fell over numerous times. They were all at (or near) a standstill. I figured no harm could come from this, right? Well, no. The front 1/2 (facing the rider) of the plastic clutch perch broke. I guess the cold made the plastic brittle, and a simple fall-over broke it. Poop!

What's the recommendation on replacement? Should I go with the OEM Kaw part, or a metal aftermarket replacement for the whole perch? I'm leaning towards a metal aftermarket replacement perch to keep this from happening again. I don't see any upside to getting the plastic Kaw part, other than possible fitment (hand guards, etc).

Brandon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Plastic? They're plastic now? sheesh.....

I recall the parts to be separately available from kawi. .....go to www.buykawasaki.com.......handlebars.........find:

11036 11036-1297 BRACKET-A,LEVER HOLDER

Rather than replace the whole mess ( an aftermarket perch will most likely require an aftermarket lever to fit right), why not just get the clamp?

Maybe it's not even what you're talking about....??

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I suspect that he is talking about the flimsy green plastic brush guards that come stock on the KDX. If so, then I could see how cold + impact would snap them.

If so, get rid of them altogether and buy decent set of metal bark busters. It'll save both your fingers and levers in future crashes. Money well spent....

Or, if I'm totally off-base here, please ignore this post!

:thumb:

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
The part I'm specifically referring to is the small "horseshoe" shaped clamp, for the clutch, on the rider side of the handlebar. You know how the perch clamps to the handlebar, around the bar? I'm talking about the smaller portion of the clamp.
It has 2 holes where the 2 phillips screws go in, top and bottom. The screws tighten into the perch itself, located on the front of the handlebars. This clamps the whole assembly to the bars. My small "horseshoe" clamp is plastic (as is the whole perch), and broke between the 2 mounting holes. now my clutch perch/unit is still attached to the bars, but just flops around loosly. People (including me) often put teflon tape here, so the controls rotate in a crash, vs breaking.

Does that help clarify it? And yeah, a good set of barkbusters would probably have prevented this damage as well.

Brandon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Plastic is fairly new for this part, then. My '00 was junk metal for sure...but it WAS metal.

So..the above PN is indeed for that part. Check it out yourself at the above listed URL. The PN I listed is for the '00. Probably should check for your particular year.

The oem replacement, or any aftermarket piece won't have any effect on aftermarket brushguards, leversavers....whatever.

Yeah...a good set of guards will extend the life of your perch. There are a lot of junk guards out there (acerbis for one..metal or not).

Keep in mind that the kdx has plugs in the handlebar ends. You'll have to either cut them out/off or drill/tap 'em for guard mounting.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
canyncrvr,

I went to the garage and looked at the bike. You are right, the clamp is black anodized pot-metal junk. My mistake. The black anodizing looked like plastic to me. A look inside the broken area revealed the rough gray pot metal.

Of course, now I think there's even *less* reason for that clamp to break! I could at least understand the cold making plastic brittle, but it shouldn't have such a large effect on a metal part. That kind of upsets me. Maybe I can find a clamp in the garage from another bike that will work for now. I'm still in the air on repairing this (apparently weak?) stock component vs replacing with an aftermarket unit.

Which brings me to my last concern. You state that the Acerbis units are junk. These are some of the hand guards I've been looking at. The all-plastic units aren't even a consideration, but I've been looking at the guards with an aluminum bar "core". What makes these guards a poor choice?

Alternatively, what are some good choices, and more importantly, what makes them a good unit? Thanks!

Brandon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I knew you'd ask that. If I remembered the dang name of the GOOD ones, I would'a said it already. E..something.....

Now I gotta go find 'em. I think FRP sells em. They DO have a metal core. I haven't heard anyone NOT liking them.

About acerbis. They didn't fit for diddle. The plastic broke when the hardware was tightened up. They are ugly! Last I checked, they didn't have a kawi green pair, even. They're just junk!!

Check these:
http://www.frpoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FRP&Category_Code=FRP1

Enduro Engineering is the name I've heard good stuff about. Seems they and FRPs are the same??? The parts are interchangeable, anyway.

I haven't used them. I use polisports. They haven't broken yet. Bent double, but not broken. No metal.

BUT...the COLOR is a good match!! ;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
www.enduroeng.com makes them for FRP and Moose. All the same, except the stickers and slightly different plastic brush guards. Highly recommended. You can also get the bars engraved with your name or something. Very trick.

Check out Fred T's here:

Attachments

• fredtbarkbusters.jpg
    fredtbarkbusters.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 228

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Slightly off topic, but,
When I put aftermarket levers on stock perches, actual clutch engagement when measured at clutch arm at trans., was less travel than stock when measured with a dial indicator.
In other words, if you make lever/perch changes, make sure clutch will fully engauge alowing trans to dis-engauge; I had to bend lever for more travel at handlebar.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I think I'm famous! :cool: EE guards are the way to go.

Moose makes a clutch perch and easy pull clutch lever with an internal bearing assembly that I had on my KDX. I got it from Sage:
>> http://www.sagesdirtandstreet.com/index.htm

I loved it, much easier clutch pull. I need that because I have smaller hands and short fingers. Now the juice clutch on the KTM...momma mia...thats nice!

bimsb6

Dec 26, 2002
apico do some replacement lever & perch replacements that seem to be good quality forged items ,not sure if available in the u.s though in the u.k they cost £14 (about $20)the pair .

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Fred T
I think I'm famous! :cool: EE guards are the way to go.
You are the poster boy for EE and Lansing Cycle! When are we going to start seeing the ads... "EE bark busters... used exclusively by the Fast Freddie Racing Team".

:)

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Just to follow up on my original problem of a broken perch clamp...

I took the easy way out, and hit the local shop today. I've got a good relationship with them, so I thought they may be willing ot help me out. They have a bunch of parts bikes parked out back, and they let me go pull a some perches/clamps from these bikes. Problem solved. Price? $1 :)

Now for some nice guards, so I don't have this situation again...

Brandon

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Regarding handguards/barkbusters, I'm looking at these (see link below) and unless someone tells me they're junk, they will be on my bike soon. I see they have mounting holes for plastic brush deflectors but so far have been unable to find them. Dunno if I really need the plastic deflectors anyway. Hope this helps. This represents the best price I've found so far on aluminum guards.

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/home.asp?sid=0001693932

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Acerbis DO have a Kawasaki green set of plastic guards. I have them on my bike, no problems, and I am a little surprised at the neagative comments. I like mine.......

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Your linky didn't bring up the product. If they are the plastic only ones, get ones with the metal through em. I had the Acerbis plastic only ones and still crash enough to bend/break levers cause they just fold. Also had a stick come up and 'break' one. Still saved my fingers though. As for the Metal only ones. That's what most folks I know use. And they work fine, but if you ride at all in colder weather the extra 'brush' guard does a great job keeping some wind off your hands. My next set will include the brush guards for that reason alone.

-MD

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Dunno why link didn't work -- goto that page and search on 'handguards' and then look at the bottom of the list for Tusk Aluminum Handguards -- $21.99 (temporairly out of stock)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Another item of note...an aftermarket perch/lever isn't going to have the post on it for the OEM guards.....if you wanted to keep 'em for some reason.

re: famous fred

Wow. I think the hyd clutch on my riding buddy's exc is completely fecal in substance, material, operation and handling!

Just shows to go 'ya! Diff'ernt strokes.........

Sure is a clean pumkin. Looks like DAN'S (acutemp) bike!! Well...CLEANwise I mean.

Top Bottom