Clutch plates- OEM or aftermarket?

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
Hey, I'm replacing the clutch plates in a 250 MXer that's using an OEM basket, would it be best to replace the plates with OEM hardware or get something aftermarket like Barnett?
Thanks in advance

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
What does the basket look like?. If it is grooved, you might want to consider an aftermarket basket/plate combo.

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
My personal experience is that the OEM's last longer and are higher quality.

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
If the basket is grooved, how effective would filing the basket be? If you filed the grooves out of a basket and put in new clutch plates would there be enough slop in the basket to end up ruining the new clutch plates and regrooving the basket, or would it hold up relatively well and not destroy the new plates?
Thanks

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I would go with oem, because they have better consistency. I have seen more than once aftermarket clutch plates being so much thicker than stock, it would make the total clutch width larger than the operating range. This makes the clutch refuse to disengage. Very annoying.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
NO HAND said:
I have seen more than once aftermarket clutch plates being so much thicker than stock, it would make the total clutch width larger than the operating range. This makes the clutch refuse to disengage. Very annoying.

I used the EBC's and they had one more fiber plate in them...it was thicker but not quite to where it wouldn't disengage. I tried Barnetts later and they worked out fine although in my old old bike I had a set that had a few cracked plates. But that basket...ok the whole bike...was pretty ratty.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I've had good luck with OEM or Vesrah plates. Everything else I've tried has been too thick and caused disengagement problems.

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
How about the whole clutch basket filing thing, has anyone done it, how much life did you get out of the clutch?
Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…