Clutch problem on a YAMAHA WR 250 1998 2 strokes

antorider

Mar 10, 2006
Hi everyone,

When I bought my bike some months ago, I was aware It had been standing for about a year in a back yard. So I knew that some problems might come, despite I took it to the shop for an start up maintenence. I notice when in first gear, despite the clutch lever gap was adjusted, the rear wheel was still turning when I lifted it, despite I was full pressing the clutch lever. So beacause I have had the same problem on my XR 250, I thought it was seized clutch plates. The clutch was disassemble, cleaned with gas lubricated with fresh oil and reassembled(YAMAHA gear oil was used). The bike was tested and showed no problems with the clutch. Unfortunately I did not ride it for 2 weeks, when I rode it yesterday I found the same problem. This upsets me very much when up the hills and being let's say in first gear, with the clutch press and the engine stops because the clutch does not disengage properly. I do not not what is the problem but I do know I cannot continue disassembling and cleaning the clutch every time the bike is standing for a while. The clutch does not slip at all, I cannot see is worn out, the bike climbs up steep hill with no signs of slipping clutch.

I will appreciate your comments. Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2005
how was the condition of the clutch basket and hub?were any notches present?if it is notched bad enough the plates will hang up in the grooves and can cause the dragging problems you seem to be experiencing

antorider

Mar 10, 2006
Clutch problem

To address the dragging problem in my bike today I open the clutch assembly and cleaned it all. Measured the clutch plates, friction plates and springs I could not see they were out of specs. I reassembled the clutch and tested the bike, again the rear wheel spinning in first gear despite I was pulling hard the clutch. I do not think it is the clutch lever gap because I tried that before(may be I am wrong and haven't done it wright). Do you tink it could be a worn push rod ?. I do not know what is the minimun lenght to have it replaced. I inspected the fingers on the cluth boss and could not see any grooves at all that may avoid the plates to open. So I still would not have a clue on how to solve this problem. Definitively it is not a sticky clutch problem at all, I think it is when pulling the clutch the pushing rod does not push enough to open the plates or still do not have the clutch lever gap properly set.? Does the torque on the spring bolts have anything to do with this.

Regards

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I have the same problem with mine, a 95 YZ250. My dad said a wet clutch like that will always to that to a very little extent. I'm not 100% sure on the validity of that, so take it how you will. I never found it that big of a problem.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The problem of dragging on my 97 yz was solved when I extended the push rod going through the case. I used a small shim, 250f size, 2.5mm thisck and added under the bearing that pushes against the pressure plate. Over time this rod compresses. It becomes too short. The angle of the clutch arm coming out of the case gets to the point where it is too steep to do much good.

I have used the spacer/shim for several years without a problem.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Another thing to check is the springs,If they are not all within specs(this requires testing on a scale at different heights) it will cause the pressure plate to be cocked sideways when the clutch is ingaged!! Cheap insurance-buy new springs!! Also you might try a different type of oil, I run 5w-50 Full synthetic.

Top Bottom