m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i have a 1999 cr250r, when im in neutral everything is fine. when i shift into gear the bike wants to go. ive adjusted all i can. i change the tranny fluid, yesterday. the person i got it from told me about the problem. my question is, if i was to bring it to my local dealer. could i choose what kind of parts they throw in? i just dont want some cheap parts. also, what brand do you guys perfer for your clutch parts. what kind of material should i look for that the plates are made from, ect. thanks for any help.

IT1985

Oct 24, 2007
Maybe its missing a push rod or a bearing... If you are missing one of these, it would do that. The push rods are what transmits the force to disengage the clutch.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Stock Honda clutch frictions are the best. You may want to have them toss in some aftermarket steel plate for reduced maintenance, though. You'll probably need a new clutch basket as well, there is no such thing as a cheap one of those. OEM's are fine, but there are some other interesting baskets including hard anodized baskets from Hinsen and baskets with removeable steel inserts so you can replace those instead of the whole thing.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Lay the bike down on it's left side with the fuel turned off. Remove the clutch cover and inspect the basket. It sounds like you have a notched basket. The notching prevents the plates from spreading apart and causes the problem you discribe. If it has not been done previously, you can file about 1-2mm of the notching away. To do this you'll need to drain the oil, remove the pressure plate, springs and plates. Don't file to a completely smooth edge AND keep the edge square. When you reassemble, flip the fiber plates over, they will have a sharp edge from the worn basket.
The best fix is a new basket, fiber, and metal plates but the notched clutch basket is your main problem.
The inner hub can be notched as well but from my experience the basket is your problem.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thanks guys. i talked to the guy who sold it to me (my boss) and. he said its the original clutch. it hasnt ever been done. thanks for all the help.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
just a thought, but maybe over time the clutch cable has stretched a bit , i dont know if this happens or not, but a new cable would certainly be cheaper than a new clutch basket

dirteater17

Aug 21, 2007
clutchs are easy to fix. i just put a new clutch in last week($50 for a Tusk w/ springs). you can always look at the specs in the manual of the wear rate on the plates and then measure to see if your are in spec. that way youll know if its the plates or somthing else.

Top Bottom