phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
I was riding my bike last fall and the clutch let go. It had lost all tension on the plates like you had pulled in the lever and the lever was sloppy. the cable was not broken so we packed it up and went home.
So, a few weeks ago it's time to work on the bike and get to riding. I took the clutch pack apart and found that there is a "coned disk sping" and "spring seat" that the book shows in the pack. The coned disk was on the inside of the pack and the spring seat was not there (I can't find it so I assume it was not installed).
I replaced the sleve that the basket rides on, the spacer behind the basket, the spacer between the basket and the pressure plate, the 4 clutch springs, the coned disk spring and spring seat,and the washer that the hub nut goes against.
The clutch feels like it has good pull, the push lever on the side of the cover is activating but the clutch won't disengage.
I rode it yesterday for about 2 miles in my buddie's back field, pulling in the clutch and letting it back out thinking that the plates were sticking but still nothing. I adjusted the cable every which way i could but still no go. I did notice that with the clutch pulled in while riding, I can rev it real good and it will slip but not disengage.
Sorry for the book. I need some help.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
phonedude:

you need to take the clutch back apart and note where the cone disk (spring washer) is suppose to be and look at all your clutch disks ...one willl have a bigger inside diameter...make sure that one goes on directly after the cone disk (spring)

I have not done my kdx yet but usually the spring washer goes in after the second steel plate or third friction disk wich would be the on with the bigger inside diameter

hope this makes sence

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
my bad I just looked and the kdx uses 8 of the same friction disks.

if you replaced the friction disked did you soak them in oil for 2 hrs? thats important!

Also make sure you have the spring disk in the right way

phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
I did not replace the disks as they were still within the service limit, but I did soak them(not for long though). I have the "coned disk spring" after the last friction plate then the "seat spring" after that.

Last edited:

o2man

May 24, 2009
I am having the same problem . I put a new clutch in . I put it all back together and have all kind of play in the lever . I adjusted the lever & when I pull the lever about halfway it's real easy , the rest of the pull seems like it is bending metal . I started it , & while holding lever in I dropped it in 1st gear & the bike jumped & died as if I didn't have the lever pulled in .
Any help is appreciated .

phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
make sure you have everything in the right order. i found that i had 2 "spring seat"s in mine. that's why it wouldn't disengage.
now when i start it and put it in gear, the plates loose all tension and the lever is sloppy.
anyone got any ideas??

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
have you checked the clutch basket where the notches are? often the clutch plates wear grooves in the basket and the plates can catch on these grooves... if there is grooves you can file the basket back to smooth. I have no direct experience with the kdx but have delt with many other motorcyces...anyhow hope this helps

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
ok I broke out the fsm and here may be the problem... the last plate to go in does not go in the slots that the previous six did it goes in the notch at the end of the clutch basket tabs _ _
_ like these dashes I just made the dashes being the tabs on the friction plates,I hope you understand the last one splits the others

Alsothere is 2 wasshers (rings) at the very end of the stack one beveld and one flat the flat one goes on last.
Pm me and I will try to scan and send the pics I need an email address

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
any grooves on the clutch hub then?? Have you inspected what the parts fich is calling the clutch pusher and the bearing that goes in there and the actuator arm

also at the start of the post you mentioned the clutch would not disengage all the way is that still the case?

phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
no grooves in the clutch hub. the three items mentioned all look good. there are no measurements for them in the book. i know i stated in the first post about not disengaging, but i found i had 2 "spring seats" in there instead of one. now i am back to the original problem of :
start engine
pull in clutch
put in gear and it goes "thunk" and you loose all tension on the clutch pack.
i then have to loosen the 4 springs and pull the pressure plate back towards me and re-install the springs to tighten the pack back up.
at that point i can loosen the hub nut and get the basket out of there.
that's where i am now, the basket and all parts in a box under the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom