bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I had to replace the clutch housing on my Yamaha DT200. The gear on the back of the clutch housing that connects to the kickstart shattered, and you need to replace the whole housing. Anyways, I installed the new clutch housing, put everything back together, and the clutch would not disengage. All the plates are good and in spec. So for the sake of troubleshooting I removed all the plates, and tried to spin the clutch boss. It caused the clutch housing to turn too. I loosened the main nut that holds everything together, to just before hand tight, and sure enough, the clutch boss was able to spin independently of the clutch housing. So I put everything back together, and the clutch worked like it was supposed to, but the main nut, which is supposed to be torqued to 50ft/lbs, is on only hand tight. Anything more than that, and the clutch housing and boss become one. Any ideas?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Take everything off and turn the clutch basket and reinstall. It sounds like your basket/primary gear is not sliding on all the way, causing a binding against the thrust washer and the boss. There should be a washer behind the primary gear and another between the clutch basket and boss. On many Yamahas, those two washers were the same part number and interchangable. What year is your bike? If those washers are different thicknesses, possible you put them in reverse order maybe.

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
The washers went in the right way. The one behind is just a regular washer, the one in front is splined. I may have discovered the problem though. The new part I ordered has a different part number than the original (i.e. the new part supersedes the old one). So the new parts is about 3-4mm longer than the old one, so it was never going to fit properly. I took the basket to a machine shop this morning, they're going to shave it down to match the old basket. Should work fine after this (hopefully). Apparently when you order the new basket, you need to order new thrust washers that match. But it's a six week back order, so for $40, and about fours hours of waiting, the machined basket seemed like the better idea. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Top Bottom