Clutch Question 2001 Husky 50J (Moto Morini)

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I purchased a used 2001 Husky 50J recently. Compare to the other mini's the automatic clutch seems to take quite a few revs to engage. I realize that this could be a sign that the clutch is worn and may need replaced. If that is not the case I was wondering if there is any way to adjust these things to engage quicker. I was going to pop the side case off just to see what things looked like in there but thought better of it since I had no idea what I would be looking at. Does anyone know if these can be adjusted and if so how? Are there any spring loaded parts that will release and I won't be able to figure out how to put back together when I take the side case off? Is the gasket usually OK or should I plan to replace it each time I remove the side case? Is there any way to tell by looking if the clutch is overdue or will I need measuring tools?
Sorry for the million questions but I do appreciate any responses.

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
I think your clutch is probably fine. Having the clutch engage at a higher RPM is actually what you want, as it gives a harder hit coming out of the corners. The stock Husky clutch has 2 clutch shoes, that has springs that holds them to the clutch housing. As the RPM increases, centrifugal force takes over, and the shoes move away from the crankshaft, and engage in a clutch basket, similar to a brake drum on a car. the only way to adjust thiis type of clutch is to change the springs to a different strength, usually people want a stiffer spriing to increase the RPM at which they engage. The Husky comes stock with pretty stiff springs, this is why it hits harder than the other bikes. Pay attention when you see some of the more trick bikes at the track, like the water cooled KTMs and the Polinis, you will see that that they engage at RPMs much higher than yours. this is because they have a better clutch with 3 shoes. They use a different spring system, such as spring washers, but it works on the same principal. As Junior progresses, replacing the clutch would be the first thing most people would do, as it it the biggest improvement you can make to the bike. But they arent cheap. I have a Polini 3 shoe in my boys Husky Sr, and it was about 250 bucks. A Dominator clutch is around $375, and is great. My boy was actually slower for a good while when I changed his clutch to the 3 shoe, as he was not used to the thing spinning the tires so easily out of the corners.
I would have a gasket on hand if I were you when removing the cover, although you probably can use the old one again. Its one of those things, you won't need it if you have a spare on hand, but of course you will if you don't. You don't have to remove the kickstarter or anything, just the allen bolts around the cover. For more info and a place to buy parts for the thing, check with Andy at http://www.egracing.com/ . He is very friendly and will explaain everything to you. Hope this helps.
Rich

Top Bottom