Clutch Question..... I just picked up a 2000 CR 250

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
it has a new Barnett Clutch and all the works.
I just went out for a quick ride and after it got hot the clutch seemed to start slipping. The Power band would hit but the RPMS went up and it seemed to stop pulling. It was fine when it was cold but then it started acting up.

Could the fluid just need changed as it sat for 3 months before I bought it.

Thanks Guys!! I have a ride in the AM and would like to know......... Happy New Year!

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
it has a new Barnett Clutch and all the works.
I just went out for a quick ride and after it got hot the clutch seemed to start slipping. The Power band would hit but the RPMS went up and it seemed to stop pulling. It was fine when it was cold but then it started acting up.

Could the fluid just need changed as it sat for 3 months before I bought it.

Thanks Guys!! I have a ride in the AM and would like to know......... Happy New Year!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
is the basket new?? if its all new , is there any freeplay in the handle . you should have a little play to allow full engagement

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
I may need to loosen the clutch handle a bit. I just got it and am a noob so it will be a learning experience. I called the guy I got the bike from and he is a wiz so when he calls me back I should have some options.

Thanks

MX851

Jun 14, 2005
I cant tell you what is wrong exactly but if I were you I would grain the transmission oil, remove the clutch cover, and then take a parts out of the clutch out and inspect them for damage and wear.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
PILL PUSHER said:
I may need to loosen the clutch handle a bit.
Sounds like that would be the problem. You should have a few millimeters of slack in the cable. Check it before each ride and also once warm since it sounds like yours changes as it heats up.

That bad news is that if you rode it like that, there's a good chance that you've already fried those new clutches. Adjust the cable properly, change the transmission fluid, then try it again.

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
I loosened the clutch and changed the transmission oil and it is good to go. It has a new Barnett clutch, springs and plates but may need a new basket in the future.

Thanks for the info!!

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Sounds like that would be the problem. You should have a few millimeters of slack in the cable. Check it before each ride and also once warm since it sounds like yours changes as it heats up.

That bad news is that if you rode it like that, there's a good chance that you've already fried those new clutches. Adjust the cable properly, change the transmission fluid, then try it again.

How do I measure the freeplay in the clutch handle? MY Owners manual calls for 3/8-3/4 of an inch of freeplay?

It was fine then it started slipping again. I loosened it and it was good then it started slipping again. I ended up finally tightening it back up even tighter and it worked at that setting?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
they are talking about the handle moving, the easy way is to put a nickel in between the handle and the perch and tighten the slack til it pinches slightly

PILL PUSHER

Dec 31, 2005
ellandoh said:
they are talking about the handle moving, the easy way is to put a nickel in between the handle and the perch and tighten the slack til it pinches slightly

Good trick with the Nickel. Sorry to be picky, l but what is slightly? There is a lot of difference in the barrel adjustment with just a few turns and tightening the nickel.

I will have to ride it tomorrow to see if my slightly is correct.
Thanks a bunch!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
this is the first and last time i can allow myself to say this.............when you pull it out the handle should be a little sloppy :think:

Top Bottom