trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
During winter, the bike is stored in my basement. I was emptying all the fluids from the bike at the end of the season before storing it and I noticed the transmission oil smelled like the clutch was burnt. A few weeks ago, I started stripping the bike down and removed the clutch cover. The metal plates aren't blue, but the basket is notched. Do I have to replace the basket? The clutch did not slip at the end of the season nor did it have any drag. The notches are pretty deep and I don't think filing would help. If I do have to change the basket, OEM of Hinson?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I searched a bit over the internet and Wiseco clutch baskets are positively referred to. They are forged meaning they are stronger and lighter and oil can circulate better because of the grooves or holes on the fingers. I am considering purchasing one. Anyone have some experience with Wiseco clutch baskets?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
There great, I've put one in a friends bike. Just as good as a Hinson but less money.

On another note, if your basket isn't grooved to bad you can touch it up for one more season. Take it out and run a smooth straight file across the grooves and remove just enough material to get it smooth again.

Also, if your plates are aluminum instead of steel they wont turn blue. Measure your plates with a micrometer to assure they are still within service limits.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Cool thanks for the pointers! I'm going to take another look at the basket this week-end, if I'm unsure I'll probably post pics.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Installed a Rekluse Basket (made by Wiesco for the Rekluse Z-Start) in my 05 CRF250R. I bought the Z-Start and went to install it and found my my basket had a new set of teeth also. Talked to Rekluse and got the basket and some new cushions. Worked great. I have scoffed at the aftermarket baskets in the past, but after installing this one and riding a friends 07 CRF250R with a full Hinson set up, I think I will work on getting a new inner hub (it has some chatter marks in it also).

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A full Hinson setup is quite expensive, they don't throw away the inner hub and pressure plate at all! I almost pressed that "Buy it now" button for a Wiseco basket when I decided I would try filing the notches on my basket. After all, my fiber plates are still above the service limit and my steel plates look perfectly straight. Thanks for all input!

Top Bottom