gnardirt386

Jan 28, 2009
i recently got the bike and my clutch on my 99 kx250 doesnt engage when letting the clutch out until the very last bit of clutch which causes me to stall the bike sometimes. the adjustment on the lever is all the way out. a buddy said the cable could be stretched. the bike starts first kick and hauls butt once in gear. i also have tried starting it in gear with the clutch pulled in with no luck, any ideas? is this a sign of a bad clutch or streatched cable?

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
If it is not the clutch cable(wich i would check for first). Check at the clutch lever(one wich is on the engine/clutch cover) maby adjusting it would get the clutch perch adjustment between normal/working position.

A manual would be helpfull for these adjustment, if these arent the problem then i suspect the clutch.

tomfoolery82

Jan 7, 2009
I have the same exact problem in my 2001 rm 125 i just bought. after i changed the oil it seemed to be a little better but not much, but my oil was muddy with very small metal shavings. im having a mechanic check it out today for free i let you know what he says about mine

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
gnardirt386 said:
i recently got the bike and my clutch on my 99 kx250 doesnt engage when letting the clutch out until the very last bit of clutch which causes me to stall the bike sometimes. the adjustment on the lever is all the way out.

This isn't making sense to me.

If the clutch doesn't "engage" it would mean that it would be slipping, the engine reving up but you don't go anywhere. This would be the opposite of stalling.

If you are not getting engagement until the lever is almost all the way released then the adjustment on the lever shouldn't be "all the way out", it needs to be in more.

It is not unusual for a bike to be difficult to start when in gear with the clutch disengaged. It is common for the clutch to have significant "drag" to the extent that it requires a very strong kick to get the engine to start. If you try to get more clutch release by adjusting the clutch perch then you can create slipping problems and not make any improvement on the drag.

Rod

tomfoolery82

Jan 7, 2009
The Clutch Is Toast Possible It Is The Basket Will Not Know Untill Further Inspection Pull Off The Clutch Cover And Look At The Clutch. Check The Plates, Check For Notches In The Basket, And Check The Hub

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Make sure when you get it repaired you use Gear Box Oil designed for a Dirt Bikes Gear Box and "CLUTCH" or you'll soon be running into this same problem all over again.

gnardirt386

Jan 28, 2009
Rod - the clutch doesnt seem to slip, it just doesnt grab until the clutch is released almost all the way. i have rode the bike on a few tight trails and on a dirt road had it 3rd pinned.

tom let me know how your bike goes, im going to try and adjust my cable and probably order a new cable before taking the clutch out.

thanks

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Hey man in your other post there are some "certain" people stirring you a certain way. And I personally feel your Clutch Problem is because your Fiber Plates are gummed up because of the Transmission Fluid that was used in your Gear Box before you got the bike. I would say Replace your Fiber Plates and use real Gear Box Oil designed and manufactured for a Dirt Bike and not a Car and you will get a lot of use out of your Clutch and Bottom-End.

The guys trying to push you towards ATF aren't going to hand you over their Credit Cards when it comes time to Replace your Entire Clutch or Clutch Basket or Rebuild your Entire Bottom-End because of an Oil Failure. I am not as "OLD" as some of these guys. But have a good heart and don't want you to take money away from somewhere else it is needed when you have a failure because of their advice. Use the right oil now and save the headaches later.

Stay Blessed and Stay Riding.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I use Rotella-T in my bike transmissions. Not a dirtbike specific oil at all, but a diesel engine oil. It works very well.

I've heard of a lot of people using it on here and elsewhere.

There is no evidence that using ATF or any other non-dirtbike specific transmission oil will cause gummed up clutch plates.

tomfoolery82

Jan 7, 2009
hey the clutch is most likley burnt up my friend who has been racing for 30 year rode my bike and said the same thing the clutch is not engaging. my bike was doing the same exact thing. i pulled it appart and the clutch plates were burnt and the pressure plate had a burn on it the rotating barring was shot, the springs were all bad. (some were softer then others) the clutch basket was good, so was the the inner hub, clutch pull(push) rod, and barring. he also told me to pull off the magneto cover to check the clutch arm. your might be on top of the case not in it. if it is you shoud check to see if it is bent. i got the plates, springs, pressure plate, and gaskets from motosprot for $89 including 2 day shipping

gnardirt386

Jan 28, 2009
i rode yesterday and the bike rode awesome.im still going to check the clutch for wear. guess i need a service manual and a gasket.

Top Bottom