Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Clutch Questions!!!

I need to replace the clutch because it slips alot. And here is my question. What all do i need to replace? The whole clutch is $225 But do all i have to replace all of it or just the clutch pads, or do i have to replace the springs to? Or SHOULD i replace the springs to?

People keep telling me different things and i dont want to screw it up....

Thanks
~(V)opar

~~~EDIT~~~~~(also last post i made)~~~~~

Ok i took apart the clutch today and looked at the clutch plates and it didn't look all that bad. It didnt look like that much wear on the clutch plates it had the groves still on them. And the spring i could almost cmpress them all the way by squezing them with my fingers (almost).

Now it slips REALLY bad (when it gets warm, if its cold its a beast) and it wasen't nearley as bad as my friends clutch plates looked. (flat)

I did notice it was pretty low on oil :uh: (a good bit low) So could that be a big factor of it not working that well?

Also it would turn over the motor when i pulled in the clutch (when off) and you guys said there was a grove in the clutch basket. Well it was perfectually flat no groves/nics or anything of those sorts. I put it back togeather and it seems to be fine now. It does it whe i pull it and puch foward but if i pull it and pull back just a little it wont do it.

Thanks for the help

~(V)opar

(i cant test it now because i have no 2 cycle oil )

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The only parts to measure for service limit are the plates and springs,basket and hubs are visual.Do not forget about the bearing and thrust washer you bend to secure the inner hub!And how is your cable,no kinks or frayed ends?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well i dont have $225 to replace Everything the plates are $25.00 and the springs are $10.

whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The only parts to measure for service limit are the plates and springs,basket and hubs are visual.Do not forget about the bearing and thrust washer you bend to secure the inner hub!And how is your cable,no kinks or frayed ends?

what do you mean bend it to secure it? Im sure ill find out when i take it apart. (yeah i know.. my dad wont let me take it apart unless i have the new parts.) The cables look fine but ill inspect them further when i take it apart.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok i took apart the clutch today and looked at the clutch plates and it didn't look all that bad. It didnt look like that much wear on the clutch plates it had the groves still on them. And the spring i could almost cmpress them all the way by squezing them with my fingers (almost).

Now it slips REALLY bad (when it gets warm, if its cold its a beast) and it wasen't nearley as bad as my friends clutch plates looked. (flat)

I did notice it was pretty low on oil :uh: (a good bit low) So could that be a big factor of it not working that well?

Also it would turn over the motor when i pulled in the clutch (when off) and you guys said there was a grove in the clutch basket. Well it was perfectually flat no groves/nics or anything of those sorts. I put it back togeather and it seems to be fine now. It does it whe i pull it and puch foward but if i pull it and pull back just a little it wont do it.

Thanks for the help

~(V)opar

(i cant test it now because i have no 2 cycle oil :| )

Last edited:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Clutch

Sorry for starting a new thread about this but here....

My dirtbikes cltch is slipping ALOT once it gets warm. If its cold its fine and runs like a champ! A first i thought it was the clutch plates but yesterday i took the clutch apart and found that A) It was very low on oil. B) The clutch plates didnt look that bad! My friends looked worse, mine still have all the groves and stuff in all of them. And when i took the apart they were all stuck togeather from the oil (is this normal?) The spring looked fine but i could compress them almost all of the way just by squeezing them with my fingers. But the clucth lever is kind of hard to pull it.

Should i just buy the new clutch anyways eventhough it didnt look that bad? None of the plates were warped. Just slippery black and stuck togeather (you had to slide them apart, kind of weird)

Thanks for the help, ANY help would be appreciated.

~(V)opar

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You need the service limits from the manual,it would also tell you,to check the springs and friction plates with a micrometer,check the metals with this also,and the metals need to be checked for warpage.Any grooves in the inner hub,in the splines where the metals engage on it,are there ridges or lips on the hub faces where the frictions ride.The outer basket,are there grooves on the fingers where the notches on the frictions lock?Did it smell like but when you drained the oil,low oil could have roasted your plates,what color are the metals?You really need proper reference,a manual

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You need the service limits from the manual,it would also tell you,to check the springs and friction plates with a micrometer,check the metals with this also,and the metals need to be checked for warpage.Any grooves in the inner hub,in the splines where the metals engage on it,are there ridges or lips on the hub faces where the frictions ride.The outer basket,are there grooves on the fingers where the notches on the frictions lock?Did it smell like but when you drained the oil,low oil could have roasted your plates,what color are the metals?You really need proper reference,a manual

I know i need a manual but im an getting another bike in 1 mounth and i lived this long without it. And its not really my bike its my dads... he got it and has the title. And it is only $40.00 for the clutch plates and springs. And i checked the inside for groves and there was none but i didnt look in between the fingers, never thought of it. ill check though. Also they looked black but that was because of the oil, i know the metal spacer things were shiney (with black oil on them) And the clutch plates were black...

ill TRY and take it back apart today and take pictures but im just going to order the new clutch plates and springs. If there not gone now there not going to last much longer..

Oh yeah i dont know how it smelled. I have a cold so i cant smell.

I asked again because why would it work fine when cold but not when it warms up? I put new oil in it yesterday and im going to get some 2-cycle oil today and ride it and see what happens...

Top Bottom