kdx-tex

Dec 11, 2000
I am going to be replacing the clutch on a 96 kdx 200 any suggestions on the best place to order it Who has the best prices? what kind is best? Do i have to replace the clutch basket too? what other gaskets etc. should i order and what else needs to be replaced once i open this puppy up? Sure would hate to get knee deep in this project and not have ordered all the parts i needed...Down time must be at a minimum?????:think

Last edited:

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
EBC makes a clutch kit, with springs, fibers and new steel rings. I ordered mine from RockeyMountain on Tues, got it on thurs.

I'm going to install it tonight I think.

I'll take photos, and add another 'how-to' on my web site. It's really not bad at all, and you might be able to get away w/o the gasket if yours comes off in one piece. I've had mine apart 3 times now. 2 times after the shift return spring broke looking for it and another when I didn't torq the basket down and it came loose. (Your clutch just stops working then :().

-MD

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Will need Flywheel holder

Madisher
I just performed my first clutch replacment. I have a 95 KDX 200. I order the EBC DRC Kit $75 from Bob's. Couple words of advice. 1. You will need something to hold the flywheel. I made the tool described on the just KDX site (cost $4.00) and is effective. 2. Should have torque wrench. 3. Be careful when you put the ignition cover back on. The manual suggest you torque the bolts to 78 inch pound I followed this advice and cracked the cover at all the bolt holes. I'am now out another $60 because I order an aluminum Boyesen Cover to replace the plastic stock. 4. Oil down the plates before you install. Good luck

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yup, been there done that.

I don't take the ignition off. I slap it in a tall gear and stand on the rear brake. I can get the main bolt torqued that way. I did mine too.

Didn't have time to ride it, will try it out tomorrow.

BTW, what is the purpose of pre-wetting the fibers ? I read about another kit that claimed you didn't need to do it with thiers.

1/4 of the basket should be sitting in oil, so I figure if you give it a couple kicks and let it warm up in neutral you'd be fine. Perhaps I'll try that next time.

-MD
photos of my adventure below

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I like to disassemble first !

nice to know what parts that are really needed first!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Good point. Though if you know you need a clutch (which I did in my case) because of previous dissasembles... :D

I think it's time I got a new cable too. Even with a new clutch it needed a little too much adjusting for my liking.

-MD

Top Bottom