rda

Jun 20, 2000
hi,

2001 ktm 300 exc, ~3400 miles.

during an enduro today the clutch start slipping worse and worse untill it could hardly pull itself. I have always heard these clutchs were almost bullet proof?

more info: at a harescramble the week before, it got stuck in second gear, and it overheated badly, very extreme conditions, lot of clutching to get through the holes and up the hills.

i found that the shifting drum was loose which made it jam and not able to be moved by the shift pawl.

upon fixing this, it did slip a little on the road so I took the cluch back apart, put it back together, test rode and it seemed to pull fine. it was working fine for the first 15 miles or so today before it started to slip.

is there something i could have done or not done when i took it apart to fix the shifting problem? or could it simply be fried disks from all of the abuse at the race before?

does anyone have the minimum thickness for them?

thanks

ktmrandy

Apr 4, 2002
I have 12,000 miles on my 2000 300 exc with the original steel and fiber plates. I did replace the hub once and will probably have to replace it this year again. I would say they were bullet proof. What oil are you using? I have never had mine slip when I did not want them to. Are you running stock gearing. I am using two teeth more than stock in the back. Did the plates turn blue and are they smooth. You can use 400 grit sandpaper on the steel and fiber plates if they are smooth to roughen them up.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Loctite that shifting drum bolt with red. My brother and another friend had the exact same problem on their 300's. If you don't loctite it, it will come loose again and wear out other parts as well.

Top Bottom