keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I just orderd a new clutch kit for my 95 mxc 440 KTM. It did NOT come with the springs. No one has this bike on their parts lists. When I registerd this bike it was not even listed in the DMV computer as a bike. There are 8 or 9 differnt spring # to choose from on ridegear.cm butt of course the 440 mxc is not listed. Can anyone tell me what one to order, without guessing? :bang: :bang:

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Bike Bandit

The following springs (note one is a heavier spring than the other) are from the 1995 KTM 440 EXC listed on Bike Bandit:

14: CLUTCH PRESSURE SPRING 2,7X38 4377626-001 $3.20
14: CLUTCH PRESSURE SPRING 2,6X38 4375915-001 $3.81

The clutch should be identical between the two models. You'll need to order 6 of whichever you want.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Is there a bennefit to a tighter spring? Why on the origanal dealer title that I just got transfered into my name did it say 440 MXC? and not EXC?

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
The MXC and EXC are different models, and have small differences, I could be wrong, but the lights are the only difference between the two models in question. Compared to the SX, the EXC is more setup for woods, in the two strokes, the EXC's have 2 ring pistons, and a 6 speed transmission. There are other differences too, but Im not sure. KTM does a little bit of a silly thing (good at times) with its models, and changes little things, like stickers and one or two engine parts, and then lights...... Hope that makes sense.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
That does make sens. I noticed it had two rings when I pulled the exhast. Ill tell you my new set of problems though. I thought I had a full clutch kit coming, no, it was friction rings only. I have tracked down the steels and springs but they are $95 + $4 a spring, on top of the $113 I spent on the frictions. Does any one know where I can find some cheaper parts for the MXC? I found cheaper springs that were booked for the EXC that are a few sense cheaper but the steels on bike badit are twice the price of the dealers?

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Steels are expensive, but they don't need to be replaced very often. What's wrong with your current set? You think clutches are expensive now, wait until you have to buy a basket.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I have found some cheaper steels 8 at $28 and the two thicker ones at $32 a piece. I was wrong Bike bandit did not say the smaller ones were a set so I just assumed they were priced as one. My bike jumps as I shift into first and I can feel it pulling at times in other gears as I pull the clutch and make a turn. Lucky thing I dont have to change the basket, they are very expensive. Sell the bike at that point. I need some hand guards though I just broke the perch for my clutch lever after clipping a branch.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just set the plates on a flat surface like a plate of glass or a granite tile and try to slip a feeler gauge under it. A few thousands is ok, but if you can get a bigger gauge under, they are too warped. Springs won't cause the symptoms you described, if you haven't already bought them, I wouldn't. Weak springs will make the clutch slip.

Top Bottom