Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Hi all,

New rider, having a blast on my 08 YZ85. This may be totally normal for new riders but I seem to be having undue trouble getting the clutch throttle co-ordination down smooth on start offs. Some of this is never being completely sure of what gear I've stopped in... but even when I know I'm in 1st I get a lot of "jump/die" syndrome.

I slowly let the clutch out until I feel the pull, give a bit of gas then try to ease into motion. As time goes by I've gotten better at it on level ground - my biggest problem is when going up hills.

This weekend while trial riding I found myself stalling out on uphills (due to inexperience in down shifting at the right time!) and faced with the issue of having to start out on an incline. I did so badly I generally had to turn around and go back down the hill to get a running start.

As the clutch get to the catch point (sorry - don't know all the lingo) even with a health throttle twist it justs dies.

Is this something that will come with time and experience or does it sound mechanical?

Thanks!
Daf

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You really just need to learn to slip the clutch. Find the point that the clutch starts to grab, and hold the lever there.. Then apply the gas.

I have a good video from Gary Semics, where he shows how to get a fast MX start, he says, "when the gate drops pin the throttle and use the clutch to deliver the power to the rear wheel."

Or in other words, slip the hell out of the clutch.

Now, I wouldn't do this all the time, but there are going to be times when this is the only way to get going. Like going up a hill after a stall. Find a nice level place, and practice it. You will find it much easier to get up the hills once you have learned to not just dump the clutch.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Like Indy says the key is to apply more throttle than you'll need and then control how much is put to the ground by carefully slipping the clutch lever.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^Good advice IMO^^^
If mechanical... do you have some old gas in it? Was it sitting for more than a couple months with fuel in the tank/carb? A clogged/gummed up pilot jet could be adding to your issues. Does the bike bog and fall on it's face at low RPM when you're already underway? Is the carb's airscrew adjustment at about 1 1/2 turns out? Gas goes bad real quick, if more than a couple months old, put it in the lawnmower.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the replies! No - the gas was fresh ... I suspect it's just inexperience. ;)

No bogging at low RPMs tho I will have a look at the air screw adjustment - thanks for that tip!

I'm going to practice the "slipping" as suggested. Thanks!

Daf

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
A good drill for beginners to learn clutch operation is, on level ground, to go one foot then stop. Then 2 feet and stop. Then 3 feet and stop.

What that does is teach you to never dump the clutch, but rather use it to feed the power to the rear wheel.

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
I know I had some issues with stalling on take offs. I finally figured out that my clutch wasn't engaging until it was almost all the way out. I did some clutch adjustments and I haven't had a problem with it since.. Frustrating as hell I know.. Hope you figure it out soon. Nothing worse than to fight your bike on an incline after stalling out........ Good Luck ................Red

Top Bottom