jackalay

May 3, 2001
I have a 1992 250 that seems to be having some clutch problems. I have absoloutley no slippage in any gear while riding, but when I come to a stop the motor will die. Now I know that a two stroke clutch does not disengage well when cold, but mine grabs even when hot. I have replaced the cable and have it adjusted almost all the way out. I was thinking that the clutch was worn out, but would'nt it still disengage even if it was worn out, I mean a worn out clutch usually just slips right? Could there be a problem with the pushrod? Any input on clutch action would be helpful.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The clutch basket may have grooves in it from the plates wearing against it. Sounds like you need to pull a cover and inspect.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Or...

your cable is stretched!

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Sounds like your going to have to pull the cover and have a look like BRush said. I had a stuck clutch myself here not to long ago. Turns out that the sleeve the basket rides on got a little hot and welded itself to the drive shaft. Hell of a time cutting/heating/cutting/pulling to get that damn thing off. New sleeve and basket and a little emery cloth and she's as good as new. No problems since. Hopefully, that's not your problem though. An indication for me was that once started in neutral I wasn't able to get it into any gear without the bike lurching forward and dying.

Hopefully WoodsRider is right, much cheaper :D

Top Bottom