carnage

Mar 16, 2001
What a day this was.. Hit a tabletop pretty good and sure enough the throttle decides to stick wot in mid air :eek: .. Talk about a scary landing, I've never ridden a wheelie for that long before. Next lap same thing coming out of a turn, wot. Hitting the kill switch does no good so I was forced to run the front wheel into an imovable object to kill the motor. I think the clutch got a little fried from that one. The clutch won't disengage now :( . The bike will shift into neutral just fine but when I shift to 1st or 2nd the bike is engaged and dies immediately.

Haven't looked at the clutch yet but before I do was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before and if there are any gotch ya's when tearing apart the clutch?

Thanks,

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
More info: I've removed the clutch assembly but the clutch housing won't come out. It is engaged, you turn it the engine turns over. Is this normal or is this my problem? If this is normal what is the secret to removing the clutch housing.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Explain the problem a little more. I'm not sure what you mean by "clutch housing won't come out"
This is how it should generally go:
-Remove cable
-Remove Clutch cover.
-Remove pusher rod & bearing from center of clutch.
-Loosen main clutch nut (flywheel holder or impact gun needed here)
-Remove the 4 bolts on the spring retaining plate, remove the plate, remove the springs.
-Remove the clutch nut
At this point you should be able to slide the whole clutch assembly off the shaft. Set the basket gear-side down on a work bench and you should be able to just lift out the hub from the basket.

See this link for a picture if the clutch asm (ignore the purple lines, they were for a question I was asking then):

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rushbe/clutch01.jpg

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rushbe/basket2.jpg

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
It's the basket that won't come out. I pretty much followed the steps you have listed below. Followed the instructions in the shop manual only the the clutch assembly minus the basket came out. The basket appears to be jammed or something, it'll turn with the motor but will not even budge when attempting to slide it off the shaft. Hope that clarifies the problem..

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
I believe some dirt got into the carb as far as the throttle being stuck goes. I'll be going through that whole mechanism after I get the clutch sorted out. I've managed to get the clutch basket off via a gear puller. It appears that it didn't want to separate itself from the copper bushing/sleeve. Now the sleeve is still stuck on the shaft. I've tried heating it up but no luck so far. :think

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Hmmm... not good. The basket mounts on a bushing, which in turn goes over the shaft. Once the nut is off, the whole assembly should slide off very easily. If it's not doing that, then that implies that maybe it got bound up when you were doing your full throttle wheelie/immovable object stop. First make sure that it is not a gear engagement issue. You could try an inspection mirror , but at this point, if I were you I'd consider taking off the entire right cover (like in my second link above) to get a better look at things and before taking any drastic measures like forcing it off. If you do take off the cover, remember about the LEFT HAND NUT at the top of the KIPS advancer shaft and be sure to support the shaft when loosening it.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Thanks for the advice BRush. I did go ahead and pull the right side cover off to check for the gears being jammed or something. Notta.. Was forced to use the puller to get the basket off. Did not want to come off at all, but it finally did. Looks like the sleeve has welded itself to the shaft, it's still on. Will try cutting it off with a dremel tool. Working theory is that at the revs this motor was spinning before I got it to stop it just lost lubrication there and got a wee bit too hot. Had plenty of fresh gear oil to start the day to. Also going to change that damn throttle cable. Thanks again BRush.

Top Bottom