CMRC Canadian Motocross Championships

Press

Super Power AssClown
May 19, 2006
[img2=left]http://dirtrider.net/news/cflag.jpg[/img2]Canada’s top motocross riders will be congregating in Ste-Julie, Quebec this weekend for the opening round of the 2006 CMRC Canadian Motocross Championships. Round 1 of the nine-round MX1 Championship, and Round 1 of the four-round MX2 East Championship take place on Sunday, May 28, 2006 at the spectacular Circuit de Ste-Julie in Ste-Julie. Qualifiers for both classes will run on Saturday, May 27th.

Defending MX1 Champion Jean Sebastien Roy, who has dominated the premiere MX1 motocross class since 2001, is expected to take the win in front of a home province crowd. The Acton Vale, QC native returns for his sixth season with Team Honda Blackfoot Fox Racing. Along with teammates Dusty Klatt, ’04/’05 MX2 West Champion, and multi-time National Champion Blair Morgan, Roy will be taking on contenders representing the other key motorcycle manufacturers: Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha and KTM.

Among the favourite factory team riders looking to unseat Roy from the MX1 throne this season are Suzuki Canada/OTSFF Motorsports’ Gavin Gracyk, Keith “KJ” Johnson and Ryan Lockhart; Kawasaki Canada/Richmond Racing’s Darcy Lange and Colt Facciotti; Yamaha Canada/Morgan Racing’s Keith R. Johnson, Derrick Fisher and Simon Homans; and KTM/Royal Distributing’s Marco Dubé.

“I know I’m going to have my work cut out for me if I’m going to win my sixth championship but I’ve been training really hard and I had my knee fixed last fall,” said Roy. “I haven’t felt this good going into a season for a long time and my confidence level is high. I know it won’t be easy but it means a lot more to win when the competition is tough.”

John Dowd, who rode to a No.3 ranking in the CMRC MX1 title chase in 2004, will be substituting for an injured Keith “KJ” Johnson on Team Suzuki OTSFF. A leg injury will keep Johnson on the sidelines till at least the third round in Nanaimo, BC on June 18, 2006.

In the MX2 East points chase, defending champion Michael Willard, riding for KTM Canada/Stoneridge, will be challenged for the title by his teammate Matt Barnes; Team Honda Blackfoot Fox Racing’s Mitch Cooke; Team Suzuki OTSFF’s Pierce Chamberlain and Machine Racing Yamaha’s Trever Hall to name a few. A roster of up-and-comers looking to make a name for themselves will further ensure that the MX2 title hunt will be an aggressive affair this season.

In addition to the top ranked Canadians and established American riders, contracted by Canadian teams, this weekend’s showdown in Ste-Julie is expected to attract a number of American privateers looking to get a taste of the Canadian National series. As in the past, those who do well will make an effort to remain in the mix for the remaining rounds.

“We’re looking forward to another exciting season that will again pit our best Canadian riders against some very strong contenders from the U.S. in the MX1 and MX2 Championships. I think you’re going to see much tighter racing for the MX1 title this year than in the past. And the door is wide open in both MX2 Championships to make it a top notch series,” said Mark Stallybrass, president/founder of CMRC, which has been sanctioning Pro National Motocross in Canada since 1993.

2006 CMRC CANADIAN MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIPS SCHEDULE
Circuit de Ste-Julie, Ste. Julie, Quebec May 27/28
Gopher Dunes, Courtland, Ontario June 3/4
The Wastelands, Nanaimo, British Columbia June 17/18
Wild Rose MX Park, Calgary, Alberta June 24/25
Moto Valley Raceway, Regina, Saskatchewan July 8/9
Shadow Valley Raceway, Morden, Manitoba July 15/16
River Glade MX Park, Moncton, New Brunswick August 5/6
Circuit de Deschambault, Deschambault, Quebec August 12/13
The Trans-Can Walton, Ontario August 19/20

Top Bottom