CO SRAC new member needs racing class advice

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
I am a 30 year old newbie rider that just joined SRAC. I have been to a few races, and will head to Berthoud this weekend to watch another. I have been riding Watkins, and feel great on the Int Track, and solid (meaning I can take all of the jumps and don't freak out on any part of the track, but still getting passed rapidly by the A guys) on the Expert Track.

My question...

I will be riding a CR 125, and want to know which class I should ride (again, age 30 with no race experience). I would like to start at the beginner or novice level, no way I am any better than that (B or A not a chance). What classes are available? Is there a Vet 125 Novice class? Is there an open age novice 125 class?

Bike has FMF pipe and VForce, so it is modified if that is an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
Hey kd,

I would assume you can race the 125 Novice class (no age limit), or you can race the Vet Novice (no size limit). I would suggest the Vet Novice because the class may be a little less intense than racing 125 Novice which will be full of gung-ho kids. Not saying the Vet class is not competitive, just most the people in the Vet class have jobs to go to on Monday morning, so they make better decisions (most of the time) while racing. Try to specifically watch both classes when you go to Berthoud and compare.

You should be getting (if you don't already have) a rulebook, so definately thumb through it and understand the rules. It should also comment about the various classes too.

You can also check their website for more info: srac.org

Good luck and have fun :aj:
CLIFF

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
Mx Dude,

Thanks for the scoop. I was thinking the same thing about the youngsters having no fear of bodily harm. My only concern is that if I am racing Vet Novice on a 125, I will get smoked by all the bigger bikes. What is your take on that?

Thanks again

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
KD,

Tough call.......the 125 might not wear you down as much as other bikes, so I think that could be a benefit. On the other hand, the 125 will probably get beat on most starts and will be underpowered to the 250s and bigger 4 strokes. If you're comfortable on the 125 go ahead and try it and see how you do....you might surprise yourself. Again, when you go to Berhoud checkout what the other guys are running.

CJF

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
My suggestion is don't worry about speed right now your just starting out its should be all about the fun factor more than anything. Once you get some experience in then worry about speed. I also suggest try racing the age group classes like up the hill beg/jr were engine size doesn't matter. I constantly beat guys on 250's in the before the hill beg/jr class. Go to a few of the races hang out talk with the other riders and try to get a feel for who rides what classes etc.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Don't worry about the 125, you will kill them in the turns. I went from vet C to vet A in a 2 years on a 125 in the SRAC and I only race a few times a year. The vet class is fun and you meet alot of cool people but I have the most fun racing the 125 B class. I'll be at lakewood for the 4stoke National 702 on a zook or shoot me a PM and we'll do some moto.

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

I didn't make it to Berthoud. Ended up with 23 stitches in my shin on Saturday ON THE WAY to the track! Long story that I would rather not remember...non bike related.

Doc says I need a full 14 days on the stitches (being on the shin) to ensure that it won't split right back open.

Anyway, I will look to race my first race in early September, so fun will certainly be the only goal.

Super rat, I would love to hook up with you in sometime. Maybe I will see you in the Vet Class races as well, just hope I can move up as fast as you have. I will be in touch.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I agree with everybody here. Go with the Vet class. Don't fret about being on 125. Its all good. when you heal up go have fun.

Erik

kddodson

Jul 3, 2002
Thanks bedell99. I am looking at going out this weekend now that the stitches are coming out. I registered with the SRAC for the Vet and 125 class. I will give the Vet class a try, although there is a guy at Watkins on a CR500 that loves to pass me...doing a wheelie...on every straight. Kinda hurts the ego! Hope to see some of you at the track.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…