Co-worker's husband looking for a bike

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I am waiting to hear more, but this is what information I have. I mentioned that an XR400 would be good for trails, but not for tracks. Not sure what to suggest for him so I am posting it here. They are going to be getting his boys bikes, one is 6 and the other is 9 so mainly riding with them probably.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'10 220lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? trails and tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? Have not ridden since I was in my early 20s
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, every brand
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? <3k
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 39
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
First off, as Im sure he is aware, alot has changed in the last 16-17 years. For that matter, alot has changed in the last 8-9 years...which is the amount of time I was without a bike. You may have to explain how a four stroke is no longer for chugging around trails (with a few exceptions, ie XR). If he was going to ride only trails, I would suggest the XR400, but since he wants to do both, he may need to go with a CRF250 or similar. It depends on how good of a rider he is. If he still has skills, he may want a 450.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
Yea, that is kinda what I was thinking. After reading alot of these postings it sounds like the 250 may be a bit under powered for him at 210. I will mention it to them and let them make the decision. If he is going to stick with trails for a while then I will suggest the XR400 like you have, mine was great for trails. Then when his boys get more experienced and they want to start hitting the track then he can move up. The XR400 seems to hold value well so that may be a good start.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…