Coal Creek riding area/Tennessee

clw

Dec 29, 2000
We'll be in SE Tennessee over the July 4th holidays. Is the Coal Creek (CCMMC) area a good place for singletrack trail riding? Will have two days to ride, any better choices? My sister in Tennessee has mentioned a Prentice Cooper area also.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
We are thinking of going in August. I've talked to some guys that recommended it but don't have any personal experience.

Be sure and post after you go and tell us all about it.

Howard

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I have heard great things about this place but not actually been there as of yet. Please reply and tell me what you think. I will not be able to make up there that day but hell I might try, what will you be driving and riding?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Coal Creek

I think we'll be at Coal Creek Sat. July 7th. Driving a white '98 Ford F-150 w/ Yamaha #9B and a blue Gas Gas. Maybe see ya there.

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
Well that sucks. I am leaving for vacation on that morning. I thought that maybe you was riding on the 4th. Oh well, email me at [ballen@phoenixusa.com] after you ride and let me know what you think. I ride a CR250 #307 and drive a black grand cherokee with a black trailer. Maybe we could hook up on the 4th, if not maybe meet again.:cool:

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Made it to Coal Creek

A must go to if in the area. Plenty big! They ONLY have 50,000 acres now, will have all 72,000 trailed soon. Remnants of abandoned mining operation; paved main road, gravel roads and interconnecting ATV and a few singletrack trails. Recent rains made it very slick on some of the shaded trails. A lot of vertical relief in spots, check traction first as some of the downhills are very fast when wet. Trails are two-way so be careful when hooking it. That's my only real complaint, for safeties sake they should be directional. The new singletrack is killer! Probably averaged 12 MPH on some sections of slick off-camber clay and roots. Not for a novice. Advanced intermediate means just that, don't take a beginner they are for experienced riders with good skills using BOTH brakes. If you go be sure to see the new TVA wind turbines that are on the top of Buffalo Mountain. Some 290' tall you feel real small standing next to the monsters and the view from atop the mountain is postcard quality. SEE http://www.tngreen.com/greenpower/wind/photos.html
for some photos. In all a very fun day exploring and sliding and climbing and descending....

A whole lot more fun than Florida riding. BTW, Houston Valley wasn't bad either but Coal Creek just blew it away on the fun meter.

Top Bottom