2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Any MTRs been to Coal Creek? A buddy and I are planning a trip down there, a long weekend sometime over the next couple of weeks, depending on the weather. Looking for suggestions on a place to stay in the area and any other helpful hints you may have from your trips down there.
We've done a bit of searching on this and other sites, but nice to get comments from fellow MTRs. Thanks in advance.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I'm not an MTR, but I have been there... Very challenging place to ride. Bring protective gear and spare parts. :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
you will be able to ride a harley through Mi trails when you get back. the best part is climbing hills that are so high the weather changes at the top. we hit a hill that was 62F on the bottom and could see our breath at the top.

kiddirt

Aug 28, 2010
i just heard on the news they got 6'' of snow in Knoxville.

it's been pretty cold and some snow down there all winter.

hope it warms up for you, sounds like a great place.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the comments. We are watching the weather down there, and will wait till it clears up some. We're pretty much set to go. Just load up and head out when it clears up a bit.
I take it there will be food, gas, etc available nearby. And I see we buy our passes at the trailhead or campground in Oliver Springs.
Any suggestions on lodging?
We have a little room and I have two KDXs and we're taking them both, so we will have a spare bike, along with parts.
So how many days of riding is this place good for? We have three days to ride, and plan on spending them there, both trail and DS,but we can move on if need be. Maybe take a look at Brimstone, or some DS in KY on way home. Maybe we need an extra day?
Of course, any body want to meet up, I will post when we are leaving.
Thanks for the help!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
we bought our passes at a gas station in oliver springs, 3 days is not enough for me especially if i was DS.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks guys. We also looked at Royal Blue and Brimstone Recreation. No particular reason we chose Coal Creek. Hopefully we will eventually ride all of them over the next year. I would like to get back to the Refro Vally area too.
I 'll do a post over on DLDS and see what comes up.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Not yet. We have been watching the weather, and as you metioned it seems to be clearing up down there, but plans have been put on hold over the next two weekends due to prior comitments. Still plan on going, hopefully the last weekend in Feb. or early March.

kiddirt

Aug 28, 2010
2big4akdx said:
Not yet. We have been watching the weather, and as you metioned it seems to be clearing up down there, but plans have been put on hold over the next two weekends due to prior comitments. Still plan on going, hopefully the last weekend in Feb. or early March.

i sent you a PM.
dave

Top Bottom