Cobra or Polini?

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
To all the mini Dad's out there: Which would you choose and why? I am going to buy one of the two soon and would like to get some feedback - good, bad, or indifferent. Thanks.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
if ur into spending the money go polini
if u can't quite spend so much go cobra. Polini is a faster bike but costs more, and the cobra is really fast to but not quite as fast as the polini. The upside to that is that it's cheaper. So now my question is do u have the money?

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Polini X3 Works $3399
King Cobra $3375
Not much difference in price.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Come on guys. Someone out there must have some feedback on either of these bikes. It is for my seven year old who has been riding for four years. So he is not a beginner.

pitbetty

May 6, 2002
I don't know much about the motorcross scene, but my son just got done racing in the Grand Nationals for amateur flattrack. The two top riders were both on 2002 King Cobras. There were new KTMs and Polinis there and they both were beat on the half mile by the Cobras.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
go to loretta's, ponca, world mini's, look at the top 20. There are about 5 Polini's and KTM's there and about 15 Cobra's. Polini's supposedly have the power advantage with about 1-2 hp up over KTM and Cobra but I think its creative calculation there. They are all pretty evenly matched. Hill won the 4-6 stock class on his Polini but that kid would have won on a 5hp briggs minibike. The next few were Cobra's. KTM was almost non-existent in the top. In the 7-8 Class pretty much the same thing except a few more Polini's. If your kid will race 7-8 class wait and get a 2003. KTM and Cobra will have 12" front wheels and Most likely Polini too but I haven't seen anything official from them.

Jason...and Yes we do ride cobra.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Hey Jason,
Thanks again. I asked my kid if he would rather ride a Polini or Cobra, he stated that he wanted a KING COBRA. I already have info being sent from a dealer and will purchase a 2003 because of the 12" front. Thanks again. Future Cobra Dad!! :aj:

200Proof

Feb 27, 2001
Look at Caleb Dowell from Texas, he had a Factory Cobra Sponsorship but changed to KTM because he was faster on the KTM. A fast kid will be fast on any bike. The Cobras, Polinis & KTM are all about even now, its just a matter of which bike your son is more comfortable on. The reason you see more Cobras in the top spots at the Nationals is because there are more Cobras in circulation than any other 50 & the kids that startd on Cobras are more comfortable on Cobras so they don't change.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by 200Proof
The reason you see more Cobras in the top spots at the Nationals is because there are more Cobras in circulation than any other 50 & the kids that started on Cobras are more comfortable on Cobras so they don't change.

Um Yeah, like thats kinda my point. And as far as Caleb being fast on anything thats what I was saying about Hill. He would easily beat 1/2 the field on his pit bike.
But since Cobra has such a huge presence at the national level things like parts, knowledge on tuning, comes a little easier.
I think its great the european's have really stepped up lately. It raises the bar for everyone. i just wish Honda would pick up the ball and run with the HM of theirs.

Jason

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…