Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
mastin.jpg

11-5-07

As many of you are aware Cody had a major knee/leg injury while he was competing at the Turkey Creek enduro in Indiana this past Saturday(11-3). He was initially taken to a local hospital in Goshen Indiana. Due to the severity he was airlifted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne Indiana. The injury consisted of a dislocation of the knee and a torn femoral artery due to the dislocation. At 9:00 p.m. on Saturday he had surgery in which a vascular surgeon was able to take a part of the femoral artery of his left leg and repair the damaged artery of the right leg. The surgeon said the surgery was successful and there was blood flow to the foot/leg. Due to the length of time without blood flow, the swelling is usually more severe and in this case the surgeon cuts small incisions below the knee to enable the area to swell without causing more injury. Those incisions will be closed during an operation today (11-5) at 5:00 p.m. He had an MRI last night to determine how much damage was caused. Those results have yet to be reviewed. Although the results from the MRI have yet to be reviewed, the Orthopedic surgeon suggests ACL and PCL damage. The dislocation was so severe that the femur was "overlapping" the tibula/fibula. As of yesterday, the Orthopedic surgeon said that it would be a minimum of two weeks before any orthopedic surgery could be done. Cody is currently still in ICU as of 9:30 a.m. today. They "anticipate" him to be moved out of ICU soon. There was no confirmation as to when he would be able to go home. I will try to give you an update ASAP.

In the meantime if you would like to send a card to Cody at his house, it can be sent to:

6020 St. Rt. 295
Whitehouse, OH 43571

Please feel free to send this on to others

Thanks,
L. Keen

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Leroy sent me this update this morning. So I copied & pasted it.

DW

11-6-07
I spoke with Liz this morning and she was told that it would probably be Thursday(11-8) before they would discharge Cody. His surgery yesterday consisted of closing the incisions to the fascia, which is the thin tissue covering the muscles. Of the three incisions, only two were able to be closed. They will need to perform a skin graft, which will be done on Wed (11-7). The physicians are currently assessing potential nerve and muscle damage below the knee as well. The MRI revealed "total" knee reconstruction would be needed.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
11-7-07
Cody has been moved out of ICU to an ICU "step-down" floor. The surgeon was able to complete the skin graft yesterday (Tues) and plans to assess the repair for the next day or two and determine if it was successful. There is still a potential discharge date of 11-8 (thurs).

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
11-8-07
According to the nursing staff, the plan is for Cody to be discharged on Friday (11-9). He was able to go to physical therapy yesterday and it was the first day he was upright and out of bed. They usually wait nearly a week before assessing the skin graft , so that may be done with a plastic surgeon in Toledo. Yesterday he was visited by Liz's grandparents as well as Andrew Stokley, Brent Floyd, and Steve & Kim Ricketts.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for doing this "service" Dewayne. I'm working on a project with the goal of getting at least one laugh. Cody is very sharp above the shoulders and a good laugh is the best therapy I know of.

Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
OUCH Cody!! We are praying for you brother... Go easy on em till they get the stitches out Ted...
Woodsy

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
From Leroy

11-8-07
The doctors were able to discharge Cody on Thursday afternoon.. He was then driven back to his mom and dad's home in Whitehouse Ohio where he will begin his "road to recovery". He has an appointment with his Orthopedic surgeon in Toledo on Monday. Please continue to send Cody get well cards. If you don’t have get well cards he likes dirt bike magazines and chocolate chip cookies….Thanks!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
11-12-07

Cody was able to visit with his new orthopedic surgeon this afternoon in Toledo. Although there has been an MRI of the knee, the focus of the appointment was to assess the skin graph. Although "total knee reconstruction" will be needed in the future, the primary objective is to make sure that there is good circulation throughout the entire lower leg. The doctor thought that the skin graph looked great. He also stated, "the surgeons at Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne did a tremendous job and they also saved your leg." The doctor told Cody he thought it would be at least 12 months before he would be able to be on his leg doing what he likes to do. Cody has another appointment a week from today to further assess the skin graph as well as the tendons and nerves in the lower part of the leg.

Send a get well card to Cody at:

6020 St. Rt. 295
Whitehouse, OH 43571

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
DW thanks for the updates. I'm sure Cody's fun loving and positive attitude will serve him well during recovery. He has many gifts, fast on a bike is only one of them. :cool:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yes - thanks for update!! Hang in there Cody,, we're all rootin for ya brother!!!!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I talked to Cody last night. In his words, he is making the best of the situation.
We talked about the banquet. He found the pictures of him in his suit to be very funny. Thanks again Leroy.
We started making plans for the off season - trip to the D15 banquet. According to my calculations, he is the overall champion in Indiana also.
His road to recovery will be a long one....I told him he could run gas for Liz as she rides the Family Enduros in 2008. We both laughed and he liked that idea.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Looks like he hit something sharp to cause this kind of rim damage....

Attachments

• Ouch.jpg
    Ouch.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 414

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Wow Cody - hang in there and get ready for PT!!! We're all thinking of you!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I talked to cody this week. he's hanging in there but not out of the woods yet as far as his foot healing 100%. Goal 1 is save his foot. goal 2 is fix his knee. He is young and that will be in his favor for recovery.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Talked with Cody the other night.
Want to take some riders down to Ohio and harrass him for awhile soon.

He might come and be "Pit Bitch" with me next year.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
A Visit With Cody

Last Thursday, 12/6, Connie and I stopped by to drop off a couple “gifts” for Cody on our way to Amherst for the Penton Owners Group Family Night Meeting. His first choice was in my left hand, which was a box of Badgerman Chocolate Chip cookies that I had made. After a while he announced he knew what was in the bag I had in my right hand. He was very close to right saying it was his gallon water bottle he had left at the Upland enduro. Connie added he wouldn’t be carrying water in it anymore. The “project” I mentioned a while back was the “alterations” involved.
I’m not much for the medical things going on with his leg and foot. He has a long road ahead for sure but the overall situation is better than first envisioned.
For those that know Cody or follow this thread, here is what I would like to pass on to you. I asked point blank what his attitude and outlook was because I feel that the mental situation is a big and important factor in what the outcome is going to be. It took a few minutes to cover and the simple answer is that Cody is on the top of the pile in that regard. He accepts what happened and will make the best of it. When there are enduros he will be there. Be it visiting friends and riders or helping out in whatever way he can, he will not be sitting around moping and feeling sorry. There simply are no negative thoughts in any way shape or manner. He may not know about the song with the words – accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and don’t mess with mister in between – but he sure is doing it. This thing about visiting “patients” to cheer them up is backwards when you visit Cody. You leave with a good feeling, after seeing his bright smile and beyond words attitude.

Young Ted

Attachments

• New Companion.jpg
    New Companion.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 198
  • Cody & Friend.jpg
    Cody & Friend.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 212
  • The Joint.jpg
    The Joint.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 207

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
My dearest friend and companion in Trouble....
You NEVER cease to amaze me.. I have always wondered how those foreign objects got in those bottles!! When I was a small boy I used to sit and stare at my grandpas ship in a bottle and wonder to my self,, how did that happen.. Of course,, being a much larger boy now with a much larger brain I dont stare at that stuff as long as I used to but the answer,, until now, had eluded me....
Now thanks to you, the truth comes out that it happens when someone breaks their leg..
Cody,, I sure hope your feeling much better having survived thru the great YT1's gift of laughter!! Speaking from experience here,, there is NOTHING in this world that promotes healing like a good attitude!! And having folks like Ted and Connie for visiting nurses cant be beat for instilling that!!!!
Keep your head up brother and get better soon.
Woodsy

Top Bottom