handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
Cold weather riding makes two-strokes run leaner. correct?
Its been about 33 degrees here for a week or two and ive noticed low-mid bog and erradic acceleration, so i raised the needle which helped but im not sure if the pilot needs to be raised too. any tips on checking to see if the pilot jet is correct? any other things i should know about riding in cold weather with my CR125?

thanx in advance, this site rocks

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You are wise to richen up the jetting. Raising the needle is a good start but it needs to be richer everywhere. You may get away with adjusting the air screw but may require a richer pilot if you have to turn it in to less than 3/4 of a turn out. As the temp drops you will have to richen it up even more. If it's running lean fix it right away and don't think that it will be OK for even a short time.

When it's cold you is extra important to make sure the motor is completely warmed up before you ride. I like to feel the cylinder as well as the radiator to make sure it's warm. Even then I take it easy for a bit before riding it hard.

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
alright i think il go up on the pilot and the main, thanx for the info, and thanx junkman but i already got that that much :)

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Last year I ended up with a 410 or 420 main (400 stock) and I think richer needle clip position. I kept it on the rich, safe, side because I had studded tires doing 5th gear WFO runs across the ice.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
33 sounds very warm to me. Last winter i rode when it was -25 celsius and i ended up running 188 main instead of 175 as i had in the summer. It was like +3 last weekend and i had 178 but it was too small so im on 188 already.

Its the main thats important to prevent seizure. I have found that the pilot can actually be leaner or it will bog down more easy if riding slow due to the cold air causing the engine to run cold very fast.

Top Bottom