Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well I read all the threads that popped up under "collar bone" and everyone saying 6,8 12 weeks to heal has gotten me a little scared. The kid...6 years old...broke his last Sunday. Been wearing the figure 8 and the sling. He says it feels good and he is a maniac. Wants to ride his bicycle. Got caught skipping the indoors recess and went out and played soccer. Running and jumping almost like normal.
Doc says he should be OK in about 3 weeks. This seems pretty short to me?
We took my daughter to practice today and my son was very antsy and wanted to just take a quick spin. I of course said no friggin way. I know kids heal fast but will he be OK in only 2 more weeks or is the possiblility of re-injury too great? I was going to make him wait at least one extra week after the DOC says its OK.

Thanks
Jason

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Trust your Doc. BUT, take your child back when the time is up to check.

Phillip

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Just to give you a frame of reference, regarding the healing rate. At the follow up visit to my orthopod, he said the same breaks that I had (metatarsals, the bones on top of your foot) would have healed in about 4 to 5 days on a baby less than a few months old. For adult, replace days with weeks.

Kids are amazing. :thumb:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Kids will heal much, much quicker than adults, but be patient to make sure it's fully healed, i.e. calcified and hard. Also, what was the break like? A hairline fracture, and complete breakage with a gap between the bones? How many breaks?

I broke mine in 2 places, with some gaps, and it was 4 months before I felt it was strong enough to go riding again. (I'm 38 - also broke it on the same side I broke at age 18).

The thing is, even though it feels fine, you can re-break it easily until it's completely calcified. I've heard many stores of guys who have re-broken their collabone, at 4-8 weeks out because they felt fine and couldn't wait. One re-broke it shooting a basketball, the other swatting a fly suddendly. Then you are essentially back to square one.

Your doc and x-rays know/reveal the real story, so go with those, not an anxious 6-year-old.

Good luck!

Racer_x4

Aug 6, 2001
I've broke each of mine when I was a little kid. First time I was 8 and it was my right collarbone and I fractured it and had to wear that figure-eight brace thing for about 4-6 weeks I think. And then when I was 10, I broke my left side and I had to wait like 6 weeks as well I think. Best thing to do is to wait around 5 weeks or whatever your Doc tells you.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the break was dead center but it was a broken all the way through. The doc is pretty agressive. She sayd he ought to be oK in 3 or so weeks after the break. I now plan on a follow up visit which the doc didn't reccomend but I will insist. I had planned on waiting at least 4 weeks until riding. guess I will see how the follow up x-rays look and see what the doc says then.

Jason

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom