DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Cold Wet and Nasty! Woo Hoo!

Well... my buddy KW and I decided no matter what happens with the weather this weekend we would be going back out to the trails and ride our butts off. And ride we did.

We got out there around 10-10:30 or so as we live about an hour away, and got some food and beverages, and tore off into the weather. The first 15 miles flew by fast, although the damp and cold were seeping in, we kept our adrenaline high enough to keep us warm for the most part. Everything was great. Nobody out there, trees in their last phase, visibility ok for the moment...just chilly and drizzzly.

About 15 miles out came my accident....made matters a little more difficult for me. I was coming into an "S" turn and in the first part thought I had dropped down into second, but to my dismay, when I hit the gas in the berm, I was actually in first!! It spun the wheel right out from under me and landed me on my knee...directly on a rock. Something immediatley told me that I should invest in some knee and elbow pads. No blood, but the nausea and the pain certainly made up for it. Got back up though, and continued our ride.

We got out to the end point, maybe 23 miles or so from start, and it's time to turn around. Now I'm having some serious visibility issues, and the cold is in my hands pretty bad. It no longer feels numb, it just hurts. I had doubled my gloves, but the wet seemed to make that a pointless effort. It felt like no gloves at all. KW's feet hurt, but we know we have to go back the 20+ miles, so we have a bite to eat, warm up a bit, then head back out.

I am having more problems with regard to lens fogging then I can finally deal with, so I take off my glasses, take off my goggles and proceed forward in the spitting rain and sleet...not fun. After about 10 more miles, my hands get so wet and cold that I can't bear the pain anymore, so I stop the bike to warm them for a minute or so. KW is maybe 1/4 mile ahead, and started thinking i wiped out or something. His bike was begining to act up from either the cold, the mix, wet, or just a tuning issue, so he could not turn around to look for me, but luckily I was able to get back on the trail and catch up with him before he came looking for me. We had to get back to the vehicles, so we ripped / limped the last ten miles out and made it back just in the nick of time. His bike stalled and would not start up again, fortunately, we were back at the vehicles, and one our way home.

My gear lessons were: Knee Pads, Elbow pads, and very WARM gloves, a painfull lesson all three, but for winter riding in the North East, I'd say a must have! For the rain, maybe a spare set of goggles... I don't know though if that would have helped at all...

My riding lesson was, if in a berm, and not sure of the gear, put your weight on the outside peg and use less gas! ;)

Dave

Last edited:

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by Reesknight
My knee STILL hurts after a long ride.

:( I am hoping this one will be a gentler reminder than yours! :worship: I think in about 2 weeks I'll be good to go again.. It's just a nasty bruise, lots of purple and red, but no problem putting weight on it. Just when I bump it into things or bend it all the way.. same with the elbow ;)

Actually, have you had any tendonitis issues with your elbows or knees??? I'd be interested to know how you delt with that..

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Good ride report. Ive learned long ago to never ride without the good-old knee pads. The elbow pads Ive done without and have survived but the knee pads are a must wera item.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by Boodac
The elbow pads Ive done without and have survived but the knee pads are a must wera item.

Thanks! Yeah, I am shopping them right now as I write this! ;)

Any brand suggestions for comfort, protection and Value? (In that order)

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Im kind of partial to the Fox knee pads but to be honest they all look like they do a decent job protecting the knee. I cant say Ive tried the braces but hear a lot of good things about them if you can afford the cost.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by DaveRS575

Actually, have you had any tendonitis issues with your elbows or knees??? I'd be interested to know how you delt with that..
No tendonitis that I'm aware of, but I'm not one to go running to the doctor for every pain I feel. I should go more than I do though! Like you, I hit my knee directly on a rock and it hurt for a few weeks. Now it only hurts when I've ridden for several hours, transitioning from sitting to standing alot. Not great pain by no means but just enough to let me know it's still there and why I always wear knee pads!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by Reesknight

No tendonitis that I'm aware of, but I'm not one to go running to the doctor for every pain I feel. I should go more than I do though! Like you, I hit my knee directly on a rock and it hurt for a few weeks. Now it only hurts when I've ridden for several hours, transitioning from sitting to standing alot. Not great pain by no means but just enough to let me know it's still there and why I always wear knee pads!

I can relate! I do the same thing...I only see the doc when it's absolutely necessary. Not a "great plan", as Warren Zevon just said a few weeks ago.

On the other hand, having the right gear is always a good plan, so before I jump on the KDX again, I will be purchasing some knee and elbow pads! :) At my age, it takes awhile to recover so...better safe than sorry!

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by Boodac
Im kind of partial to the Fox knee pads but to be honest they all look like they do a decent job protecting the knee. I cant say Ive tried the braces but hear a lot of good things about them if you can afford the cost.

The Fox do look better than the Acerbis I think... price wise too. The Raptor looks like the one for me. I'd like to try them on though first with my boots. I have big calves, so big that I can't buckle the top strap on my boots (22" should not be considered that big I would think, but apparently it is) (Mine are the Sidi Force boots BTW).

Thanks!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
As an old, old rider--I agree that you should never ride without you knee pads. After much trial and lots of errors, I prefer the kind that do not go down in my boots--that way the boots fit correctly and give their designed protection. I use old cut off ones with gentle elastic that stay above the boots--well actually they stay up by bottoming on the tops of my boots while I am riding. I think Moose or MSR makes some modern short ones like I am suggesting. My two cents, but take care of those knees.

Top Bottom