combustion chamber design

jury vjr

Jan 20, 2001
When I was measuring the squish and compression off the head off my ktm125 sx '02 I noticed a very wide squish(55%) and a clearance off 1mm,but the compression seems to be not so high(valves open 7.9:1 valves closed 10.5:1).Now I want my bike to run very strong in the midrange so I was thinking off raising the compression because it is not so high,but the msv is problably already high because its wide squish band,so would this be wise if I am planning to stay with pump gas?And what affect has a bath tub design vs. a hemi sphere chamber on the power band?thanks!

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Woah! that's a real real question. Probobly only M. Gorr knows.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I pesonally would just try an optional base gasket which is 0.1mm thinner-this would retard the port timing slightly and raise comp slightly giving you more mid-we did this on the 01 and it ran fine on super unleaded.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
The optimum compression ratio for the powervalve - open is 9:1
So what Marcus is saying is that even though the gasket is only .1mm/.004inches, its advantage is tri-fold because it serves to retard the timing and lengthen the effective stroke as well as raise the squish velocity. You can always change the angle on the squishband to be greater and reduce the squish velocity.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…